Old box of Winchester Super-X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was given several boxes of 45 ammo a while back and had a box of these in the mix. At first I thought they were reloads but after a bit of research saw they were not. What has me puzzled is the mark so far down on the cartridge that I'm guessing is a crimp? Surely the bullet isn't that deep. Has anyone reloaded these?
45_3.jpg
SAM_2115.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was given several boxes of 45 ammo a while back and had a box of these in the mix. At first I thought they were reloads but after a bit of research saw they were not. What has me puzzled is the mark so far down on the cartridge that I'm guessing is a crimp? Surely the bullet isn't that deep. Has anyone reloaded these?View attachment 131218 View attachment 131219

I posted some ammo like that several years ago on OSA. The consensus of opinion was the lower crimp was to prevent bullet setback.
You don't see much of that brass on the ranges now, but once it runs through a sizing die, I wouldn't be afraid to reload it at all.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted some ammo like that several years ago on OSA. The consensus of opinion was the lower crimp was to prevent bullet setback.
You don't see much of that brass on the ranges now, but once it runs through a sizing die, I wouldn't be afraid to reload it at all.
This is correct. That "crimp" is called a cannelure. Some rounds are still made that way. I have some 9mm Federal AE 147FP that is and it's new production. They are totally reloadable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom