Old mossberg 500 refinishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m refinishing an old Mossberg 500a that’s in rough shape. Watched some Mike Novak videos on it, but I still have questions, hoping the brain trust can lend me some advice. I’ve stripped the old finish off the stock, don’t have and raised grain from what I can tell. I’m gonna refinish with Tru-oil. Any pointers? I would like to get a nice satin or semi gloss finish, rather than a high gloss. Can I just hit it with some steel wool before coating with wax?

I want to return the metal to its nice black finish, to include the aluminum receiver. Should I just blast the receiver with soda and refinish ceramacoat or similar? I’m concerned about the barrels being reblued and not matching, should I just ceramacoat the entire gun? Wheeler Cerama-Coat 4oz Aerosol Flat Dark Earth

I need to remove the finish from the forend, but I have these grooves in here. Suggestions on getting the grooves cleaned up without solvents or damaging the grooves?

image.jpg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The BEST way would be stripper. Get something citrus (orange), instead of harsh chemical, and a stiff, nylon toothbrush.

Otherwise, use nylon cord (1/8" or what fits the groove) and thin strip of sandpaper and lightly "saw" the finish off.

Why the aversion to chem?

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m refinishing an old Mossberg 500a that’s in rough shape. Watched some Mike Novak videos on it, but I still have questions, hoping the brain trust can lend me some advice. I’ve stripped the old finish off the stock, don’t have and raised grain from what I can tell. I’m gonna refinish with Tru-oil. Any pointers? I would like to get a nice satin or semi gloss finish, rather than a high gloss. Can I just hit it with some steel wool before coating with wax?

I want to return the metal to its nice black finish, to include the aluminum receiver. Should I just blast the receiver with soda and refinish ceramacoat or similar? I’m concerned about the barrels being reblued and not matching, should I just ceramacoat the entire gun? Wheeler Cerama-Coat 4oz Aerosol Flat Dark Earth

I need to remove the finish from the forend, but I have these grooves in here. Suggestions on getting the grooves cleaned up without solvents or damaging the grooves?

View attachment 328181

The other option is to leave the groves as-is and use it as a contrast on the finished product.

Kind of like I did with the finger groves on this Mosin Stock I did a few years ago.

1670866356052.png

1670866379565.png

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The BEST way would be stripper. Get something citrus (orange), instead of harsh chemical, and a stiff, nylon toothbrush.

Otherwise, use nylon cord (1/8" or what fits the groove) and thin strip of sandpaper and lightly "saw" the finish off.

Why the aversion to chem?
Just because I didn't use any on the stock, and don't want to raise the grain or modify the appearance of the wood any. I think the string method would work nice, didnt think of that!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did this to an old High Standard K120 Riot Gun. It was my now deceased step dad's. He had used JB weld to glue on a scope mount and had put on an old Bushnell Holosight which he ruined by letting the batteries leak. And since that giant sight was on it he had to fabricate a monster tall cheek rest out of ripstop fabric and also add a butt cuff which were attached to the stock with about 14 friggin nails. It was an absolute abomination and completely not needed to be all tactical timmyed out for a house gun which is what he had it for. I tried to fix the Holosight to use on something else but it was a lost cause. Too bad because those are pretty robust sights, they are the predecessor to the EoTech.

After I got the rail off I used a brass wheel in a dremel to remove the JB weld and of course it took the bluing off too. I just touched it up with Oxpho Blue. It doesn't match but this is worth maybe $225 at best and didn't want to sink any real time or money into it. I filled all the nail holes and rattle canned it. It'll do for a shop gun.

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpeg
    IMG_0305.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom