Older Winchesters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 73's
If its 32 WFC, that's common.
If is 22 RF, that's rare and many of the parts don't interchange with other 73's

The 73 had a few variations on the dust covers.
Some mix and match, others don't.
Original parts correct to the serial number range of your gun are better for preserving the value.

I can't comment on the springs or screws - lots of possibilities.

For Collectors Only, Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firearms, Volume 1, The models of 1866, 1873, & 1876 by Arthur Pirkle is a good reference, and reasonably priced if you want to be sure every component in the gun is period correct.

30 WFC - that going to be an 1894, and the age will also affect interchangeability of parts.
Pirkle has a book on them as well.

Cleaning - error on the conservative side and don't over-clean.
Nylon bush and gun oil should be as aggressive as you need to get.
Perhaps a brass brush down the bore

If you disassemble, take lots of photos as you go along, and keep track of what screw went in which hole. Be sure your screwdrivers fit the screws properly.

Years of wiping with oil will glue the wood to metal.
Be careful you don't break anything.

Need a dust cover, spring. set screw on an 1873. I think there were a few models. I didn't know if all parts were the same between models. Without damaging the value how to deep clean it.

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 73's
If its 32 WFC, that's common.
If is 22 RF, that's rare and many of the parts don't interchange with other 73's

The 73 had a few variations on the dust covers.
Some mix and match, others don't.
Original parts correct to the serial number range of your gun are better for preserving the value.

I can't comment on the springs or screws - lots of possibilities.

For Collectors Only, Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firearms, Volume 1, The models of 1866, 1873, & 1876 by Arthur Pirkle is a good reference, and reasonably priced if you want to be sure every component in the gun is period correct.

30 WFC - that going to be an 1894, and the age will also affect interchangeability of parts.
Pirkle has a book on them as well.

Cleaning - error on the conservative side and don't over-clean.
Nylon bush and gun oil should be as aggressive as you need to get.
Perhaps a brass brush down the bore

If you disassemble, take lots of photos as you go along, and keep track of what screw went in which hole. Be sure your screwdrivers fit the screws properly.

Years of wiping with oil will glue the wood to metal.
Be careful you don't break anything.

Years ago i mfg, tons of parts , screws, firing pins , mag.tubes , etc.....did lots of business with SARCO in Sterling N.J.......can find pgs of ads in S.N....probably around 1974......i also at that time had a pretty good collection of Winchesters (even had the .22 in the 73)....i discovered most of the screws were identical to the screws WEAVER used in thier mounts....i brought this to my customers attn....he then came out with a kit , "Dress Up Your Old 73".....don't recall how many screws he put in the bag , or what he charged , plus they are all blued.....i believe he rewarded me with a bottle of booze......they were good times.......
May want to ck.out "Popperts Gun Parts" been in business 40 yrs....Google The Web Site if U choose.....hope this helps with your restauration......U don't have just a gun / rifle , U have a piece of Amarican History....

Latest posts

Top Bottom