Olive oil in a smoker?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For health reasons EVOO should be included in your daily diet. Its the healthiest cooking oil you can find.
If it had a higher smoke point, I would, but being diabetic I try to avoid bread and can not stand oil on a salad. I use pure to cook with mostly except for frying tators. There I use Crisco or bacon grease when I have it. (Bacon grease, the only real essential oil)

Tonight is Italian so whole wheat spaghetti with meatballs, Ragu Simply sauce (bite me) , yellow squash, zucchini & onion sauted in pure olive oil.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a difference between the pure olive oil which I use for a lot of cooking, or the Extra Virgin olive oil I was asking about.. I had never used it before. I did use it today on some zucchini chips that cook at 2225 and I will be using it when I use the smoker for chicken. Once the bottle I was given is gone I will go back to my old ways. I really do not need 4 types of cooking oil.

Wow, Rick, 2225 degrees is an unbelievably high cooking temperature! 😳

1658030552616.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it had a higher smoke point, I would, but being diabetic I try to avoid bread and can not stand oil on a salad. I use pure to cook with mostly except for frying tators. There I use Crisco or bacon grease when I have it. (Bacon grease, the only real essential oil)

Tonight is Italian so whole wheat spaghetti with meatballs, Ragu Simply sauce (bite me) , yellow squash, zucchini & onion sauted in pure olive oil.

Yeppers on the bacon grease. Wife keeps some in glass jars, and if we happen to get a couple filled without needing them, she ships them up to Colorado to her sister's and they get overjoyed every time they get a jar or two.

I have no idea why they don't accumulate their own.

(Oh, my....I have no idea what prompted me to post in a thread about cooking.)

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great article that explains it much better then I can. I use it everyday In something I eat.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/olive-oil-can-it-lower-your-risk-of-dying-early-202203012695
Cool. I use a decent amount.
I am also cutting back on my overall oil consumption but only due to its calories. It may be healthy but it still contains I believe 80 calories a teaspoon and too many calories of anything will still make you fat.
I use olive oil peanut oil and avocado oil

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wellness doc advised me to take in at least 2T of EVOO every day. I do cook with it to make seasonings stick and crisp skin, but was told it is no longer EVOO after it has been heated. I also cannot stand oily greens and avoid bread as much as possible. I have resorted to a shot glass of EVOO with some lime juice in it so I can get it over with as quickly as possible. The lime juice really helps minimize the oily film in my mouth afterwards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom