On this july fourth, america should be weeping and not celebrating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same non-discrimination law has also been used to protects Christians so you can stop crying now.

The fulll agency order is here but the conclusion is this:

m.snopes.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_07_sweet_cakes_gag_order.jpg

See there it is, the Kleins got their ass in a crack because they went on a public crusade against the lesbian couple by name, not because of their religion.

If this is correct it certainly makes me less sympathetic toward the Klein's. Let' say that the Klein's made viscous negative statements about the complainants (I'm not sure they did and would condemn such statements).

Is it the proper role of government to restrict hurtful public speech?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is correct it certainly makes me less sympathetic toward the Klein's. Let' say that the Klein's made viscous negative statements about the complainants (I'm not sure they did and would condemn such statements).

Is it the proper role of government to restrict hurtful public speech?

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure you can sue someone who uses your real name in public in a derogatory manner.
The Kleins might still have been OK but they also posted the lesbian couples address on facebook as well.

The full agency findings indicate that the lesbian couple sought no public attention because they are raising a child and were afraid they might lose custody of the child in the ensuing publicity.
The first time they became aware that their names had been released online was when a conservative radio talk show host called one of them to ask questions.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure you can sue someone who uses your real name in public in a derogatory manner.
The Kleins might still have been OK but they also posted the lesbian couples address on facebook as well.

The full agency findings indicate that the lesbian couple sought no public attention because they are raising a child and were afraid they might lose custody of the child in the ensuing publicity.
The first time they became aware that their names had been released online was when a conservative radio talk show host called one of them to ask questions.

In that case, the issue appears to be exactly what restriction the government imposed on the Kleins. I can understand the need for a narrow restriction on releasing the names, address, contact information or other identifying information for the lesbian couple. But my impression is that the government went overboard and totally restricted the freedom of speech of the Kleins.
Your information also seems to imply that the pain and distress of the lesbian couple was the result of their fear of harm caused by the release of their identity - not by their having been denied a wedding cake. These two versions of the story are certainly at odds. The issue is polarizing and this appears to be clouding objective coverage of the facts of the situation. Thanks for sharing the opposing information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom