One in the Chamber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago I worked with an officer who carried a 1911 type pistol without one in the chamber. I advised him against it. He told me that if he ever needed it, he had plenty of time to put one in the chamber.

Later that year during qualifications I noticed him putting one in the chamber before the course started. I made a point with the range officer that we should have to draw it as we carried it. The range officer agreed and he had to take the bullet out of the chamber and start over.

He was not able to draw, chamber and shoot in the time allotted and failed to qualify. He was allowed to shoot the course again with the chamber loaded for each course of fire and did qualify. He didn't like it, but he did it.

After qualifications he went right back to carrying without a round in the chamber.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So panicked you could even shoot yourseld on the draw? So panicked you could miss your intended target? So panicked you could misjudge the badguy? Or possibly just so panicked you would forget to rack your slide?

Coz

Yep, that panicked...and you can just as easily shoot yourself in the foot while racking the slide as having one in the chamber.
In fact, when you spend as much time as I do with new and experianced shooters, you'd be surprised as to how many keep their finger on the trigger or in the trigger guard when racking the slide to chamber a round.
Newbies who aren't comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber also tend to have poor trigger finger discipline.

But hey, if you want to add having to chamber a round to the other factors you mentioned, go for it.
If you think that you're going to be thinking about what you're going to have for lunch as you're drawing your weapon, go for it.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to be safe, I also take the battery out of the vehicles each night. . .don't want them starting up on their own! I figure that if I need one of them, I'll have plenty of time to install the battery.

I let the air out of my spare...

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe its the Israeli Army that carrys unloaded, and have become quite sharp at putting the gun in battery While drawing,,,,,google it if you would like to, pretty interesting

Glock ...cocked , not locked.... ;)

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.coolthings.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_03_570_doublebarrelgun1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom