One in the pipe....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost all BGs will tell you the one thing that would stop them in their tracks during their crime is the sound of the victims 12 gauge being pumped somewhere, but I dont think racking a slide in a semi auto pistol during an incident would carry the same scare weight. Unless youre on TV or in the movies, then its like a requirement or something, looks badass and tough. I think the concensus of most of the long time members here you will find they will always be in 'condition one'.

I heard that sound in the dark one time when I got out of my truck behind a parked travel trailer, and it stopped me. However, as another poster observed, it also gives a bad guy a sound to shoot at.

I know it's sort of an article of faith that the sound of a shotgun slide will freeze a BG, but the key word here is faith, and I don't think there is a reliable source that includes "almost all BGs."

When I used a shotgun for home protection, I did keep the chamber empty. But, I followed the advice of a cop friend and kept the safety off and the trigger pulled. This enables an instant shot as soon as the shell goes into the chamber. Also, I practiced--a lot--loading and firing the shotgun.

My friend told me to never depend on the "paralysis myth" as he called it. He said to work the slide and shoot in one smooh motion. He urged lots of practice to avoid short stroking the slide, and suggested never working the slide slowly under any circumstance. He said this was to establish muscle memory. I can tell you from personal experience that short stroking an 870 or a Mossberg 500 can create a very hard to clear jam.

The one unjammable pump shotgun that I know of is the old S&W Model 3000. These are rare, but are great self defense shotguns. There may be more modern shottys that won't jam. I haven't kept up with them since they are no longer what I use for self defense.

As for handguns, one in the pipe is how I carry. There used to be something called "Israeli carry" which was full mag, empty pipe. I have never seen confirmation that it's a real thing, but somehow doubt it.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate the thought of carrying with an empty chamber, but the thought of the weapon potentially going off and hitting a child is gut wrenching. I carry DL, CCL, CC, G19 with one spare mag, keys, two ten oz. water bottels, and enough "fuel" supplements to keep me goin' for 20+ miles. Although I've never had my Glock shift location while running, it's just too much risk with all the other things in the pack. I run by schools and parks a lot. I would rather have a $500 club than the thouhht of harming an innocent child.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate the thought of carrying with an empty chamber, but the thought of the weapon potentially going off and hitting a child is gut wrenching. I carry DL, CCL, CC, G19 with one spare mag, keys, two ten oz. water bottels, and enough "fuel" supplements to keep me goin' for 20+ miles. Although I've never had my Glock shift location while running, it's just too much risk with all the other things in the pack. I run by schools and parks a lot. I would rather have a $500 club than the thouhht of harming an innocent child.

Might try one of these. I'm sure there are other similar ones out there, just happened to see this one the other day and remembered where it was.

Latest posts

Top Bottom