One to the hip, literally ... sadly enough.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forgive me guys, and I dont want to start a debate but rather ask a question. This is indeed tragic and I know this is not the guns fault. I also carry a glock but in a kydex holster. It covers the trigger guard and my gun does not move whatsoever in my holster. But I dont carry in condition 1 for just this reason. Putting aside the debate of carrying condition 1 or having a club so to speak, how does one overcome this? I am very comfortable knowing my glock is positioned so the trigger cannot be pulled, and since it snaps into the holster I dont think it could ever ride up and discharge. I just have not reached the point that I am comfortable with one in the pipe. Please advise.

It's just something you have to do. Realize that tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people carry Glocks concealed with one in the pipe every day without issue. While I don't advocate holsters with safety straps for CC, I'd perfer that over an empty chamber if it made you feel more secure carrying in Condition one. Chamber empty is denying yourself critical time and functionality in the event you have to use it in an emergency.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's just something you have to do. Realize that tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people carry Glocks concealed with one in the pipe every day without issue. While I don't advocate holsters with safety straps for CC, I'd perfer that over an empty chamber if it made you feel more secure carrying in Condition one. Chamber empty is denying yourself critical time and functionality in the event you have to use it in an emergency.

No strap on my holster, its a cleveland. Very similar to the crossbreed. And thank you Sir.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgive me guys, and I dont want to start a debate but rather ask a question. This is indeed tragic and I know this is not the guns fault. I also carry a glock but in a kydex holster. It covers the trigger guard and my gun does not move whatsoever in my holster. But I dont carry in condition 1 for just this reason. Putting aside the debate of carrying condition 1 or having a club so to speak, how does one overcome this? I am very comfortable knowing my glock is positioned so the trigger cannot be pulled, and since it snaps into the holster I dont think it could ever ride up and discharge. I just have not reached the point that I am comfortable with one in the pipe. Please advise.

Get a level 2 or level 3 retention holster. Gun won't fall out - period - unless the holster is defective.

Carrying condition 1 then shouldn't be an issue for you.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for my clarification; is one in the chamber actually considered condition 1 for Glocks? I always considered it condition 0.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for my clarification; is one in the chamber actually considered condition 1 for Glocks? I always considered it condition 0.

I would imagine so. The safeties are technically "engaged", like the thumb safety would be on a 1911. Condition 2 applies to revo's IIRC. Out of curiosity, where did you come up with condition 0?

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may only apply to the 1911 but here's where I read it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper

Ah, ok. When I was in, we never considered "condition 0" an actual "condition" because if the gun was in that state, it meant we were about to fire, or actually firing (and they only taught us the conditions as applicable to M16's). Guess they just decided to update the conditions to include it. Since all the conditions mention a hammer, I don't really know how someone could actually apply the same conditions to a striker fired pistol. Maybe some pistol guru on here could clarify for us...

Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, ok. When I was in, we never considered "condition 0" an actual "condition" because if the gun was in that state, it meant we were about to fire, or actually firing (and they only taught us the conditions as applicable to M16's). Guess they just decided to update the conditions to include it. Since all the conditions mention a hammer, I don't really know how someone could actually apply the same conditions to a striker fired pistol. Maybe some pistol guru on here could clarify for us...

Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.
\

If you replace hammer with striker, a chamber loaded Glock would be Condition One. A Glock would be Condition Zero when the trigger finger depressed the safety on the trigger. Same for an M&P. For an xD, Condition Zero would be when the grip safety is depressed, as the trigger mechanism doesn't move the striker back perceptibly before releasing it.

Technically, Condition Two is impossible with a Glock (unless the chambered round failed to fire when the striker dropped). A Glock carried with an empty chamber would be Condition Three, or perhaps Condition 2.5 if the trigger was forward with the striker engaged by the trigger bar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom