Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Open Carry be permissible under the law?

• Total voters

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We best be concentrating on keeping our 2nd Amendment Rights preserved for the next few years! Just my humble opinion.

kat sass

What part of 2A stipulates how we carry? I think that regulations contiually whitle away at our right.

Also, don't you think there would be a huge decrease in crime if the bad guys see a large number of upstanding individuals with a weapon in the open? I know I would think twice about any type of confrontation if 80 y/o grandma had her .44 Mag visible...even if she did run the stop sign and cut me off!!:smack::bolt:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder what useful purpose is there for "open" carry? We lived until recently without "any" carry. What is the/a necessity for "open carry". Explain a necessity/reason for it. I don't mean to be contentious either, but sorry, I just don't see a need to "open carry".

This is the language of the anti-gun crowd, and it is specious because one does not have to "prove a need" for a right. Why do you "need" to vote or read what you choose? You don't "need" the right to read that "internet filth!"
And so on.

OK is one of only 9 states that flatly prohibit open carry, so please don't include me in the "we lived until recently without any carry."
I grew up in a state where guns were and are legally carried in cars and openly on your person without ANY kind of license. That's called Freedom, and it works because it was exercised with Responsibility. The same reason concealed carry works.

The "OMIGOD we'll have chaos in the streets" and "Why do you need it?" are the same arguments used against EVERY concealed carry law passed in every state.

I'm severely disappointed to hear the same anti-gun party line again on this subject.

kat sass

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the language of the anti-gun crowd, and it is specious because one does not have to "prove a need" for a right. Why do you "need" to vote or read what you choose? You don't "need" the right to read that "internet filth!"

Okay, its a "right's" grounded reason. That makes sense. I am absolutely NOT an anti-gun person!!! So, I am on board with "open carry"!

However, when my permit arrives, I won't, but I won't ask the question ever again or wonder about it! I thought it was more of a "John Wayne" thing. Thank you for enlightening me! Believe me, I understand. I just didn't understand before and now I do! Thanks again. (And me an NRA member at that! Shame on me, really!)

kat sass

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, its a "right's" grounded reason. That makes sense. I am absolutely NOT an anti-gun person!!! So, I am on board with "open carry"!

However, when my permit arrives, I won't, but I won't ask the question ever again or wonder about it! I thought it was more of a "John Wayne" thing. Thank you for enlightening me! Believe me, I understand. I just didn't understand before and now I do! Thanks again. (And me an NRA member at that! Shame on me, really!)

kat sass

this topic is not about carrying openly now. it is against the law to open carry in oklahoma. the point here is to hopefully get that law reversed so that we can open carry and not have to have a license to do so.
secondly the reason, if you need one, that i want to open carry is because it is easier to carry outside the waistband. it is easier to draw from outside the waistband. i can carry a full size weapon instead of a compact. i dont have to buy my jeans or shirts a size bigger to cover my weapon. i dont have to worry about someone seeing it and freaking out about it. and because the second amendment says "...shall not be infringed".

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
this topic is not about carrying openly now. it is against the law to open carry in oklahoma. the point here is to hopefully get that law reversed so that we can open carry and not have to have a license to do so.
secondly the reason, if you need one, that i want to open carry is because it is easier to carry outside the waistband. it is easier to draw from outside the waistband. i can carry a full size weapon instead of a compact. i dont have to buy my jeans or shirts a size bigger to cover my weapon. i dont have to worry about someone seeing it and freaking out about it. and because the second amendment says "...shall not be infringed".

For the record I only use my OWB for my 1911, and I don't care about my shirts being bigger.

Admittedly, since I'm a full-time law student, I do not carry that often anymore. It used to be a daily activity for me.

I do back you up completely on the fact that open-carry should be legal. It seems like a pretty big infringement to me. In PA there is no specific law, but it's not really socially accepted, so it's just as rare. We almost need a law like Arizona that specifically condones open-carry. I don't even agree with us having to get permits in the first place. It's one reason I consider moving to Vermont!

Protect

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From a rights standpoint, absolutely, it should be allowed.

From a practical standpoint, I probably wouldn't carry openly, but it would be nice to not worry about a print or cover garment exposing it and being accused of brandishing.

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Voted Yes. Do it on my property all the time. It's just another tool on my belt like my leatherman. Dont do it for publicity or kicks, I do it because it is practical. LEO's dont do it for publicity or kicks they do it because it is practical (at least thats what I understand).

Some dont understand the reasons behind why we carry firearms but that is ok. That is what they were taught or shown or what they believe. I let them live their life and I live mine. Welcome to America. My problem is when their way of life starts interfering with mine.

1 Peter 2:13-17 (New International Version)

Submission to Rulers and Masters
13Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, 14or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. 17Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.

Romans 13:1-7 (New International Version)

Romans 13
Submission to the Authorities
1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Bible and Guns http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/714725/posts

Just think one day we wont need them.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me open carry in public means who gets shot first by the bad guy, the guy packing his gun on his hip will be the first to get it. Meanwhile the conceal carry guy is plotting his next move :wink2:

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To me open carry in public means who gets shot first by the bad guy, the guy packing his gun on his hip will be the first to get it. Meanwhile the conceal carry guy is plotting his next move :wink2:

Hypothesizing is useless.

What about when the criminal sees the open carry and decides not to commit the crime?

What about when the concealed carry guy gets shot fumbling around while the Open carry guy draws and fires?

It's and endless argument about circumstance and things that cannot be determined until the event actually occurs, and even then it's not usually very clear.

IMHO, law abiding citizens carrying both ways, would be much better for society than prohibiting either one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom