Open Sites - end of adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie1

Marksman
Reaction score
Hey,

Picked up a new toy a few months back, a Marlin 1894 in 44Mag, because....
...well, did I really need a reason?

Anyway, I have the rear adjustable site all the way to the bottom, yet the gun is still shooting about 3 inches high at 25/30 yeards. It also shoots a couple of inches to the right, but it seems there is no lateral adjustment.

Short of filing out the V in the rear site, or somehow kluging together a higher front site, any ideas? Handloads are a mild charge with cast bullets, and I am shooting from sand bag rests. I love plinking with this gun, but don't like having to aim 3-4 inches under the target.

Thanks

Odie1

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hey,

Picked up a new toy a few months back, a Marlin 1894 in 44Mag, because....
...well, did I really need a reason?

Anyway, I have the rear adjustable site all the way to the bottom, yet the gun is still shooting about 3 inches high at 25/30 yeards. It also shoots a couple of inches to the right, but it seems there is no lateral adjustment.

Short of filing out the V in the rear site, or somehow kluging together a higher front site, any ideas? Handloads are a mild charge with cast bullets, and I am shooting from sand bag rests. I love plinking with this gun, but don't like having to aim 3-4 inches under the target.

Thanks

Odie1

The front and rear site are adjustable for windage by drifting the site to the side. You may have alter the ramp on the rear site to get it down low enough for such short yardage. To adjust the windage drift the rear site in the direction you want the bullet to go.

Pat

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your OP said you are shooting from sand bag rests. Are you holding the forearm? Those 1894's will buck some and your shot will hit high, even with mild loads. Try holding the carbine in a normal manner and see where it hits.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's it shoot at 100 yards? 3 inches low? It's got the ballistics of a rainbow. Where it is may be pretty good unless you specifically need it to be dead on at 25 yards.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try it with some hotter loads before you mess with the sights. I think the forward sight can be drifted, but suspect the rear only deals with elevation. doctorjj is right about ballistics, and with light loads it's exaggerated.

These are fun guns, and great for hogs in the brush. CB

odie1

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

I had never thought about "bucking" during the shot, so I will have to give that a try.

...and didn't consider bullet drop either..... seems as though I didn't consider much of anything!

I may back off to 50 yards and see what happens....and check the drop of a 44 Mag from 50 to 100 yards, etc. etc.

Will also VERY CAREFULLY and lightly attempt to drift the site....

Thanks again....

Odie1

Latest posts

Top Bottom