Opinions on FNH handguns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seriously considering picking up either the FNX-45 or FNX-45 tactical (kinda like the threaded barrel, but have no plans to put a can on it). Had an opportunity to shoot the tactical version over the weekend and really like they way it felt. While I do think it's too large to conceal, It seems like it would make a good open carry handgun.

I'm used to carrying a Colt Defender, a basic 1911 or M&P45 - they are all large frame handguns, so the size isn't an issue. I'm mainly concerned about long term reliability.

Anyone shoot one regularly? know of common issues? availability of replacement parts/upgrade parts?

lemme have it!

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of the FN 5.7 x 28 pistols, I bought to go with my P 90 rifle. Unfortunately, I've never got around to shooting it.

However, I have a friend who swears by FN pistols.

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I owned an FNP-45 Tactical for a year or so and ended up selling it,great gun just too big for my hands.Also shot my friends FNS-40 and really liked it.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a .45 and a .40, love them both. The .45 lives next to my bed and has a rail mounted light and laser. The .40 is carried often IWB and is very easy to carry concealed or openly.

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a FNX-9, there is really not much to dislike about them. My FNX is one of my favorites, I'm surprised they do not have more of a following. Mine has been totally reliable with any ammo, well designed, easy to shoot and very accurate for me. Its also my wife's favorite handgun, she chose the FNX-9 for her carry course last weekend.

Powers

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the FNX-45 Tactical..and I love it. It's big, so for me it is not a CCW gun..but it is in my nightstand, and on my belt when out on the property. 15 of .45 ACP in the mag makes for a thick grip, but I have medium hands, and it fits me well. I have not had any problems with it. FN did issue a recall for a limited number of the FNX-Tacticals a couple of months ago when one gun had a trigger bar problem. I called and mine was not affected. According to them (second hand info from a gun shop) It was limited to one week of guns from that particular lot. I have not had any issues with mine. I had to get used to a couple of things. All of the FNX pistols I have tried make louder than usual "clicks" when operating the trigger. I think it is one of the safeties working as the trigger is being pulled. The safety/decocker levers seem loud to me, but all of them on the FNX pistols I have tried sound the same. The FNX-45 Tactical has the threaded barrel and raised sights for a supressor, and it has a section in front of the rear sight milled out with a cover plate installed. A red dot optic such as RMR or other miniature type red dots fit. The RMR seems to be the one that works with the mounts included with the sight. I do not have one installed on mine, so definitely do some research for what fits if you decide on one with the optic capability. Lastly, the thread protector on the barrel loosens up with time, or when shooting it. Rather than keep checking and tightening it after every few hours during the day, I bought some high temp o-rings, Vitons, from McMaster-Carr ( Metric Viton® Fluoroelastomer O-Ring 1.5 mm Width, 12 mm ID, Part # 9263K296, LINK: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/3478/=nczmnl ).
These fit perfectly on the base of the barrel threads. When the thread protector in screwed down, it seats to the correct depth and the inside barrel/protector transition is till flush, just like without the o-ring. a pack of 25 is $6.25 and one o-ring has lasted me several months. No loosening when shooting, and comes off for cleaning easily. And no need to try some type of high temp thread locker or adhesive, which sometimes can be a mess, not work, or prove removal very difficult. The o-ring should of course work with any barrel that loosens the thread protector. Just measure for the appropriate size.
Anyways..I love my FNX-45. Mags were completely unavailable from FNH until just a couple of months ago. They are pricey..38-51 bucks usually. But they have been showing up regularly at retailers. Just sign up for notifications and buy them as soon as you get the email. For some, the FNP-45 mags have worked for them in the FNX-45. I have not tried this.
I hope this helps. The biggest downside of the FNX for me, was waiting for spare mags to come in, and their price. Other than that, it has definitely proven it self to me for what I use it for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom