Organizing AK build party

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitterdaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, lots of interest/input, good! Yup, your Nodak receiver needs to be painted or parked for sure.

I'm sad to say that I'm late to both the AK, and especially the parts kit scene.
Since the ban ended in '04, there are some great, (and not so great), complete rifles currently available on both original foreign and American made receivers and barrels.

When I got into surplus rifles around '00, the only complete Kalashnikov rifles often found were neutered Romanian WASR 10 single stacks, the SAR 1, and Chinese MAK-90 rifles. I did see some Polytech rifles here and there, as well as a few milled Arsenals, but the prices were always too far out of reach.

What I missed out on, were all the excellent parts kits floating around. I saw them for sale in Shotgun News, but never had a clue that a few years down the road, those prices would go through the roof as kits dried up and barrel importation ceased. Just in time for some of the best American receivers to become available at affordable prices.

To be honest I've never seen a Russian kit up close, the Romanian Guard kits with barrels seem like a good way to go if you can still find them. I've got a Maadi kit , sans barrel, a milled Yugo, a 1960 Polish milled kit, a Firing Line receiver, and a few random barrels. These days I'd be more interested in building a few shooters for me, not so much period correct replicas with all the appropriate markings and accessories. Bending flats doesn't seem so fun when there are so many good receivers around ready to go in almost any configuration you could imagine. It would have made sense to bend your own a few years ago. What's the point of spending $100 on a receiver for a $75 kit? But when kits run up near $400-$500 complete, what's a few more bucks?

Let's keep this going! Also, post up any unique kits you guys have that may not be currently available or easy to find! Anyone have one of the East Germans yet?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Yugo underfolder and an AMD-65 kit. Both are complete. Wished I bought them when they were really cheap but alas, they were not. Oh well. I really want to build the Yugo. May sell the AMD.

waffles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a very nice Hungarian AMMS underfolder kit that is just waiting to be built. had 2 of the AMMS kits but sold 1. Heard they are pretty rare.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to get an FPK kit and receiver, I'm pretty sure a PSL build would be almost identical to an AK build (considering that they're pretty much the same).

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure don't understand this.. I built a Romanian kit using a Nodak receiver and it turned out great. Accurate and works fine. This is the thread I posted with a picture when I had it finished.
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1150290

Not sure I would want to tackle bending a receiver from a flat but guess it can be done with the proper tools. The only issues I had were as follows.. None of it had anything to do with it being a Romanian kit, it was all receiver.. Maybe some of this will help keep you guys from making the same mistakes. Make sure the magazine fits before assembling the trunions and trigger guard. Try several different magazines, they are not all the same.

This was a predrilled receiver and the front trunion rivet holes were a tad further back than they should have been. Of course I didn't discover this till I had the front trunion installed. Sure glad I tried the magazine fit before I installed the trigger guard. The fix was pretty simple, just egged out the holes for the trigger guard so it could be moved rearward and opened up the rear of the magazine hole in the receiver to match the new TG position. Were talking less than 1/16 inch but enough to make a magazine not lock in.

The 2nd issue was the aftermarket trigger was a double hook trigger and the receiver was made for a single hook. I made the mistake of cutting the slot for the 2nd hook before I tried putting it together. After I got it together I discovered the slot put in by Nodak was too long, of course when I cut the second slot I made it the same as the one already in it. The result was the trigger would pull too far and the trigger return spring would slip off the rear of the trigger. My fix was to rivet a small flat piece of sheet metal over the slots inside the receiver. The also served as an overtravel stop, positioned the sheetmetal so that the trigger would hit it just after the hammer was released. If I hadn't cut the second slot before I understood how it worked I could have made it just long enough and not needed the fix.

Last but not least the Spud receiver, even though it comes blued, is really prone to rusting. I have to keep a pretty good coat of oil on it or it will develop rust spots. Not really a big issue but more of a PTA.

All in all I'm really happy with the gun and the way it turned out. We have shot the heck out of it and have not had one problem. Wished a couple of my other semi auto pistols were as reliable as this AK has turned out.

I've seen the rifle that Bob built and it looks good to me! I also bought the tools he used to build it so I know they work. I haven't got my butt around to doing anything with my AK kits but am basically ready.

For anyone that is interested, I found the most useful AK building videos on Youtube by this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/BuildyourownAK

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am building a couple over the next couple of weeks, just waiting on some parts to get here. I have a customer who has an interests in another one if I can get him a kit at a reasonable price, Since my foot surgery I can only work in 1 or 2 hour shifts, then off the feet so I am in no position to guide you through your build right now but let me know if I can help or interest you in blasting and parkerizing or black oxide finish when you get it built.

Or wait a few weeks and we can get together for a build when my foot heals up.

I have a bending jig on loan right now so if you have a flat you can come bend it while I have it available, This fixture requires the rails not be installed before bending. (the 20 ton press makes it easy)

daddy-o

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if i would be willing to drive all the way to Tulsa but if we could get someone to host half way or OKC and it was on one of my days off I would love it. I have all the ak tools except no bender, but I would use a nodakspud reciever anyway. I have the parkerizing solution. No tank yet but planning on building one out of pvc I seen on theakforum. I do not have a press. This would be great. I have several kits I need to finish up.
Thanks
daddy-o

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good price, you can get a barrel for $99 from gunbroker and an reciever from Nodak Spud for $55. Let me know if you need FFL service, they have me on file.
Then all you need is a Rivet set (about $15) and 5 US made parts, like a trigger group ($29) that counts as 3 parts, a modern grip ($30 to 40) and a muzzle break ($10 to 20) are the usual add on parts. and you have an AK for about $350 and a dozen hours of labor and it is not a WASR-10

Next all you need is a few mags and some ammo. which you can group buy pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom