Outrageous safety rules at work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
loaded once at a place that made all drivers use a harness to tarp their loads . after you put the thing on you couldn't move far enough to unroll your tarps. then yo had to climb down and crawl up the front and back of your trailer with no ladder to get the rest done. I loaded there once and said never again.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand what everyone is saying. It seems every job will start out with good safety rules and then start beating a good horse to death. But I will also say that I worked in power plant construction for 10 years during the 70's and I would certainly take today's rules over the way jobs were ran at that time. I worked 9 different power plant construction jobs and never worked one job that at least one person didn't get killed from a fall. The highest fall was 255 feet..I still remember it very well and the shortest fall was 5-1/2 foot..Yes a millwright helper feel off a 5-1/2 foot section of scaffold and killed himself graveyard dead..Like I said, I agree sometimes the safety rules get a severe case of dumb a$$ but I still think it's better than no rules at all.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny... I was barehand certified once upon a time. You can crawl the bundle ... but your clipped in to do it. Lineman climbing is about the only climbing trade that is not in total, across the board, fall restraint yet. Most of the business is shifting to it on towers and poles just to miniize the losses from accidents.

and working from the chopper? Looks crazy as hell... but it takes about 2 years to train a crew... and barehand aviation is about the safest way to work EHV lines there is. I never could fly (weight and balance issues... most light choppers can't handle more than 170 pounds on the skid (allowing for tools too) on the skid so skinny guys rule in that special feild) but worked EHV barehand from trucks. To do any of that work you have to learn how to rescue a worker of the tower or mid span too. We had to train as a crew... and the school ran nearly 8 weeks.

If you fall the distance your height is... statistics tell us you will visit a hospital

Fall 14, 15 feet you will probaly end up at a mourge...if your not left in a long term vegitative state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom