"+p" Ammo???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im Dumb On What Kel-tec Talks About When They Say There Pf-9 Will Take +p Ammo But Not To Shoot Very Much Through It, Wat Is +p Ammo And Why????

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im Dumb On What Kel-tec Talks About When They Say There Pf-9 Will Take +p Ammo But Not To Shoot Very Much Through It, Wat Is +p Ammo And Why????

Higher pressure ammo - its specifically marked as "+P" and there's also "+P+" (which is even hotter).

Just hotter loads that boom harder and go faster (usually in self-defense ammo).

I know a lot of folks will use some of the +P rounds in a super-short barrel to overcome the loss of velocity due to the barrel-length. Be careful though, not all handguns are rated for +P ammo - personally, I wouldn't shoot it through that Keltec at all.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definately don't use it in any gun that doesn't have steel reenforcements in the frame. It's okay for the occasional shot, but a steady diet of +P ammo will destroy an aluminum frame or a poly frame that doesn't have steel in the stress points.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+P means the ammo exceeds the standard pressure level for a given cartridge as defined by SAAMI (Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers Institute).

See the Wikipedia article on the subject.

+P is a legitimate SAAMI spec for a few calibers, 9mm, 45ACP and .38 special being the most common.

There are a few manufacturers that (IMHO) are irresponsible with their loading and labeling, marking calibers (like .380) as "+P" even there's no such thing (from SAAMI standpoint).

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
+P is a legitimate SAAMI spec for a few calibers, 9mm, 45ACP and .38 special being the most common.

There are a few manufacturers that (IMHO) are irresponsible with their loading and labeling, marking calibers (like .380) as "+P" even there's no such thing (from SAAMI standpoint).

Even though GO didn't want to say it, its BB that puts out a +P loading for the .380. If your shooting this round in a steel framed gun i.e. Beretta 70 series there shouldn't be a problem. As to the other guns, the little bitty pocket rockets, your asking for problems. It may be the first round, or the hundreth, its an failure looking for a place to happen. If your using one of the Beretta 80 series or a Browning BDA380, I would only shoot enough to know where your POA/POI is, and practice with standard pressure, if thats what you want to carry. PS I wouldn't be trying this loading in a Walther PP series either, even though they are all steel.

The .380acp is very much affected in velocity like the .44spl is. Unlike some other cartridges out there when you start shorting the barrel velocity and energy levels drop fast. To me if your going to carry a .380 for PD/CCW go with as much barrel as you can i.e. Beretta 85, 84, Browning BDA380, or Walther PP(Hard to find, but they are out there), PPK&PPK/s. With the new loadings available today, and with these guns longer barrels, it really gives the .380acp a fighting chance, plus with the longer sight radius, and the quality of these guns you'll have better accuracy.JMOP/YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom