Paint removal AR15 upper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edwin Caywood

New to the site!
Reaction score
I was given an AR15 A1 upper, and it was painted by the person who gave me the upper. What would be the best way to remove the paint without damaging the finish or where can I get the finish redone locally in the Tulsa area. My sons and I would like to build it out as a project riffle.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lacquer thinner and Carburetor cleaner dry fast and if you put some on a paper towel and wipe the paint or let the towel
soak for about 3 seconds then wipe you can usually just remove the upper paint without harming what is under it.

I have used Lacquer thinner many times on clear coat painted cars to remove over spray and never lost the shine to the clear coat.
Reason being is it dries fast.
If the solvent dries quick it can't remove anything because it is basically gone.

You can keep some rubbing alcohol handy or a water wetted rag in case you get too carried away with the thinner.
Hit it with water and neutralize/thin it basically

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I use Zip strip or ez strip...they're acetone based. It leaves the adodize but will make it a little gray. Oil will make it black again. You can use break free or similar and scrub it with a copper brush but that'll take a long time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom