The study for moving and rebuilding of the highway I-244 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've worked in the historical Archer area for nearly 23 years. That highway isn't the demarcation line it's claimed to be. (Hell I remember when Admiral was the demarcation line)

Take a look at the Creek Turnpike - when that was built people were forced to sell so it could be done, I personally knew folks that had to relocate. Ran that big highway right through south Tulsa, Jenks.

Separated the folks on the south side of it from the north, also had the river, just like the 244 area.

Oddly enough, there seems to be thriving communities on both sides of the Creek now, even after that intrusion and life-altering construction took place.

There have been numerous attempts at running a functional grocery store at Pine and Peoria. This location is easy to access from anywhere in north Tulsa. 244 has nothing to do with the failures of the proprietors that have tried to make a go of it. The idea that "food deserts" exist because of anything other than crime is complete BS. There's something else at play here, and it ain't the damned highway.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
The $1.6 million is just a grant for a feasibiltiy study.

OK House Dem Caucus
Communications & Public Affairs
March 3, 2023

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Contact: Kandis West, Democratic Caucus Communications Director
Phone: (405) 962-7674

Rep. Goodwin to Announce $1.6 million U.S. DOT Planning Grant for Partial Removal of I-244 through Greenwood
OKLAHOMA CITY –Representative Regina Goodwin, D-Tulsa, Cody Brandt, Tulsa STEPS along with Dr. Warren Blakney, Pastor of North Peoria Church of Christ and other community leaders will announce a $1.6 million grant awarded through the Biden administration's Reconnecting Communities Pilot Program.

Rep. Goodwin and community leaders will make a formal announcement and discuss the project at 10 a.m. tomorrow at North Peoria Church of Christ located at 2217 N Peoria Ave, Tulsa, OK 74106.

The $1.6 million grant is part of a bipartisan infrastructure law that invests $1 billion over five years to address ‎infrastructure barriers that limit mobility, access, or economic development for ‎communities across the country.

This project will support a feasibility study for removing a one-mile section of the northern leg of I-244 dividing the Historic Greenwood ‎District. It seeks to establish a community land trust to facilitate ‎long-term redevelopment of nearly 30 acres that will open up with the removal of the one-mile section of the interstate.

-END-

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The $1.6 million is just a grant for a feasibiltiy study.

OK House Dem Caucus
Communications & Public Affairs
March 3, 2023

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Contact: Kandis West, Democratic Caucus Communications Director
Phone: (405) 962-7674

Rep. Goodwin to Announce $1.6 million U.S. DOT Planning Grant for Partial Removal of I-244 through Greenwood
OKLAHOMA CITY –Representative Regina Goodwin, D-Tulsa, Cody Brandt, Tulsa STEPS along with Dr. Warren Blakney, Pastor of North Peoria Church of Christ and other community leaders will announce a $1.6 million grant awarded through the Biden administration's Reconnecting Communities Pilot Program.

Rep. Goodwin and community leaders will make a formal announcement and discuss the project at 10 a.m. tomorrow at North Peoria Church of Christ located at 2217 N Peoria Ave, Tulsa, OK 74106.

The $1.6 million grant is part of a bipartisan infrastructure law that invests $1 billion over five years to address ‎infrastructure barriers that limit mobility, access, or economic development for ‎communities across the country.

This project will support a feasibility study for removing a one-mile section of the northern leg of I-244 dividing the Historic Greenwood ‎District. It seeks to establish a community land trust to facilitate ‎long-term redevelopment of nearly 30 acres that will open up with the removal of the one-mile section of the interstate.

-END-
I'd like to see an itemized breakdown of how that's spent.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
The study for moving and rebuilding of the highway I-244 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

What we have here is our President Joe Biden giving 1.6 million of the taxpayers money, to make good on his promise he made to the Black Tulsa Community, when he visited Tulsa before the 1921 Race Riot 100 year Centennial.

He was told about how the City of Tulsa devided Greenwood by building I-244 through it, and causing a great economic loss to bussiness of Greenwood Blackwall Street.

This is my take on how long this project will take if it ever does the vote needed.

===========

A $1.6 million in grant money to fund a highway study in Tulsa. The study will look at the feasibility of removing the part of I-244 that cuts through the historic Greenwood District.

This study will take around five to six years, there will be many surveys of parts of the neighborhoods that will be effected by the relocation of I-244.

There will be many important items in regards to the economic impact on both homeowners and business in the effected areas of the relocation of I-244.

Also important is the total cost of paying to relocate the I- 244 and the payments to the effected homeowners and business.

It will take another around five years for the Government to evaluate the finding of the study, then another three years having adjustments made to the results, they may even need another evaluation of many of the study’s findings before giving the results to Congress for their evaluation.

Then another three to five years having Congress to evaluate the study’s finding, then asking for answers to many questions in regards to the study’s findings, that might require a more in depth evaluating of some parts of the study adding more years before a vote on the project.

Then Congress will vote on if the relocation of highway I-244 in Tulsa, Oklahoma will move forward.

If the vote is yes then it will be another three to four years to get new bids for the need removal of the present highway I-244, and the building of the relocated highway I-244.

Now there is the important item of getting the homeowners and business informed and dealing with the cost of their being moved, and dealing with their excepting or rejecting the offers made to them, this also very important item could take around three or more years.

If then the cost is excepted and the process of moving the homeowners and business starts, this could take another three to four years added to the project.

Now new updated bids must be received for the needed material and needed labor that will be required for the project, this could take around another two years.

Then the new bids have to be excepted or have the bids reevaluated and resubmitted, and voted to except them or reject them, this would add around another two years to getting all the needed items started for the relocation of highway I-244 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

My best guess is this project will take around twenty five years to get started, and them around ten plus years to get if fully completed.
Just when I think that allowing the Lunatics to be put in charge of the asylum, was not a mistake after all, this happens!

Latest posts

Top Bottom