The study for moving and rebuilding of the highway I-244 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The study for moving and rebuilding of the highway I-244 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

What we have here is our President Joe Biden giving 1.6 million of the taxpayers money, to make good on his promise he made to the Black Tulsa Community, when he visited Tulsa before the 1921 Race Riot 100 year Centennial.

He was told about how the City of Tulsa devided Greenwood by building I-244 through it, and causing a great economic loss to bussiness of Greenwood Blackwall Street.

This is my take on how long this project will take if it ever does the vote needed.

===========

A $1.6 million in grant money to fund a highway study in Tulsa. The study will look at the feasibility of removing the part of I-244 that cuts through the historic Greenwood District.

This study will take around five to six years, there will be many surveys of parts of the neighborhoods that will be effected by the relocation of I-244.

There will be many important items in regards to the economic impact on both homeowners and business in the effected areas of the relocation of I-244.

Also important is the total cost of paying to relocate the I- 244 and the payments to the effected homeowners and business.

It will take another around five years for the Government to evaluate the finding of the study, then another three years having adjustments made to the results, they may even need another evaluation of many of the study’s findings before giving the results to Congress for their evaluation.

Then another three to five years having Congress to evaluate the study’s finding, then asking for answers to many questions in regards to the study’s findings, that might require a more in depth evaluating of some parts of the study adding more years before a vote on the project.

Then Congress will vote on if the relocation of highway I-244 in Tulsa, Oklahoma will move forward.

If the vote is yes then it will be another three to four years to get new bids for the need removal of the present highway I-244, and the building of the relocated highway I-244.

Now there is the important item of getting the homeowners and business informed and dealing with the cost of their being moved, and dealing with their excepting or rejecting the offers made to them, this also very important item could take around three or more years.

If then the cost is excepted and the process of moving the homeowners and business starts, this could take another three to four years added to the project.

Now new updated bids must be received for the needed material and needed labor that will be required for the project, this could take around another two years.

Then the new bids have to be excepted or have the bids reevaluated and resubmitted, and voted to except them or reject them, this would add around another two years to getting all the needed items started for the relocation of highway I-244 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

My best guess is this project will take around twenty five years to get started, and them around ten plus years to get if fully completed.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, we can't build a highway on the surface to save our lives, no way anything underground is getting done.
driving around the Big Dig in Boston is an experience. And one i think we are still paying for IIRC.

that said, the above ground area is much nicer than it was when the highway built there

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day that’s where all the hookers hung out. Seems there is plenty of land in the area 5 years ago.

They could have used the land behind “Black Wallstreet” if they hadn’t built Drillers stadium behind and entrances on one side or across the street where the big block long apartments are.

I haven’t been in that area in a few years but the other side of the road is an open field which they could expand. The bridge meh, The other side of the bridge has a church and some land. Never much in there really, and don’t see the area as being like the past.

JMO
Here's the area Dec 2016 around 4:30 Am. The stop sign is greenwood and archer.
Screenshot_20230302_171458_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just platitudes. That highway doesn’t separate anyone or anything that doesn’t want to be separated.
If “they” want a better neighborhood, then they should build one instead of axing Joe Taxpayer to fund something that is so ridiculous and won’t make an hill of beans difference in the end. Build the community you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom