passenger in a car, duty to inform?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought Rod Snell had answered this, so I went a-searchin'. Here's what I found:
If anybody cares, the CLEET opinion in an update they furnished is that passengers in a car are not exempt from notification during a traffic stop.
I have no opinion, but when somebody asks in a class, I quote CLEET. Don't know of any case law on this.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we got lit up,,,
I pulled out my drivers license and permit.

If the cop would have spoke to me,,,
I would have handed him both license and permit.

He never addressed me so I kept silent.

But the statute does say:
It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a
concealed or unconcealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the
person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a
federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop.

I ain't a lawyer,,,
But I would claim that I was waiting for the officer to address me so I could inform him.

Aarond

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is it really comes down to officer preference, which varies wildly. Some care, some don't, some get really pissed about it. So the age old question...ask for permission or ask for forgiveness.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"You talking to ME...no, as was said I'm Free to go

Us Normal civilians are not under the authority of CLEET

SDA....."when the person first come in contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop . "

*At first chance

If asked for my ID, I will notify.......no reason the other people in the car need to know I'm carrying....Unless theyre a felon...8( .....That might sux.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After thinking about this more, I cant really nail it down with the writen law but I think as a common courtesy if the leo is in the presence of a gun during a detainment, no mater who hes detaining, he should be informed. That may not seem necessary to all leos but there are those that would in deed appreciate the courtesy and things from that point on may go smoother for all.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After thinking about this more, I cant really nail it down with the writen law but I think as a common courtesy if the leo is in the presence of a gun during a detainment, no mater who hes detaining, he should be informed. That may not seem necessary to all leos but there are those that would in deed appreciate the courtesy and things from that point on may go smoother for all.

And may get worse, ...why is this passenger in a vehicle , declaring he has a gun?

Now , not only does the Officer have the driver , whom he stopped for some reason, to deal with , now theyve got a passenger with a gun?

I believe sitting there quietly , hands in view, would be calming.

Now if the Officer asks, or acknowledges They need some info from me...."Sir(Ma'm) I have a carry license and I am armed , how would you like to proceed" (First reasonable chance? )...then follow instructions.

I see no difference than coming into contact with an Officer ...in a restaurant, ez-go, academy, local gun store...

Latest posts

Top Bottom