Pawnee Winter Run n' Gun - 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh, prone is easy enough, just wanted it get the angles in. 150 is a decent shot at 45 & 90
Ahhh come on, 30 sec with a Sawzall and it's done...

Seriously though, I bet there's more than a few DQ'S on that stage unless it's a big target. If a guy hadn't practiced it, he'll waste alot ammo on the 90 degree ports trying to figure out the hold. At 50 it's not hard but at 150, POI and POA are many inches apart. I built a board too and have been practicing it pretty regular.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 90 degree hold wasn't really that far off the last few times I shot it past 100 using a red dot zeroed at 50...I corrected a little but my hold was still on the plate.

The lowest hole is usually not tall enough for regular prone, gotta go 90 there too...

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different setups maybe effect it differently? I know when me and a buddy tried it a while back, we were both showing a 6-8" POA/POI difference. That was with scopes.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30 seconds, HA. Takes a while to draw and measure everything out for sure. I'll get the hits, just wanted to be faster and more comfy with the positions. It was a good project, made one for a buddy and I, only used half a sheet of plywood. Bases are heavy duty. Just need to add a couple bolts to keep it locked in place and maybe cut it in half and add some hinges. It breaks down so it will fit in my trunk

Last edited:

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different setups maybe effect it differently? I know when me and a buddy tried it a while back, we were both showing a 6-8" POA/POI difference. That was with scopes.

got a stupid question. does this POA/POI difference happen with iron sights too? From my recollection, i didn't experience anything like that. But my memory of how i cleared those stages is not the best.

Although, shooting from prone at 90 degree turn exposed an interesting problem that cost me 2 mins at least.

Won't happen again.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
got a stupid question. does this POA/POI difference happen with iron sights too? From my recollection, i didn't experience anything like that. But my memory of how i cleared those stages is not the best.

Although, shooting from prone at 90 degree turn exposed an interesting problem that cost me 2 mins at least.

Won't happen again.

Any time you're shooting canted, you're going to experience a POI/POA shift regardless of the sighting system used. The physics remain unchanged. Consider:

When shooting the rifle plumb to the ground and mag well down, the round leaves the barrel and traces a parabolic arc upward, then toward the ground, which results from the initial inertia of the cartridge firing and the inevitable effect of gravity.

Now rotate the rifle 45° to the left. When you fire the rifle, the round still traces a parabolic arc but not into alignment with the mag well. Gravity is still pulling the round into the ground.

So: Rifle at 0° equals an arc traced toward the ground through the projected vertical centerline of the gun. Rifle at 315° equals an arc traced toward the ground and to the left of the projected vertical centerline of the gun, giving a point of impact left and low.

There was a really good YouTube video going around prior to one of the other events but:

Here's an article with an illustration

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any time you're shooting canted, you're going to experience a POI/POA shift regardless of the sighting system used. The physics remain unchanged. Consider:

When shooting the rifle plumb to the ground and mag well down, the round leaves the barrel and traces a parabolic arc upward, then toward the ground, which results from the initial inertia of the cartridge firing and the inevitable effect of gravity.

Now rotate the rifle 45° to the left. When you fire the rifle, the round still traces a parabolic arc but not into alignment with the mag well. Gravity is still pulling the round into the ground.

So: Rifle at 0° equals an arc traced toward the ground through the projected vertical centerline of the gun. Rifle at 315° equals an arc traced toward the ground and to the left of the projected vertical centerline of the gun, giving a point of impact left and low.

There was a really good YouTube video going around prior to one of the other events but:

Here's an article with an illustration

That makes sense, thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom