Pawnee Winter Run N Gun - Get Ready!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
x2 for making at least one pistol stage more challenging. Smaller target at same distances or move target further away.

RO's did a fantastic job, however I did notice one inconsistency. At one stage, explaining the course of fire was included into my run time (wait-time was taken but shooting time had not started), but that was not the case at other stages. I don't know if it should have or shouldn't have..... It would not have made a difference in my final placement, but it might for another....

That's it for my 0.02

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
however I did notice one inconsistency. At one stage, explaining the course of fire was included into my run time (wait-time was taken but shooting time had not started), but that was not the case at other stages.
That's it for my 0.02

Wait time ( should have) stopped when the shooter is directed to the line to receive course of fire.

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not being a wise guy but they explain stage during wait time as a courtsey to keep it running fast. Best way to avoid explanation on run time is to say "I understand the course of fire and I am ready to begin". But chances are if there is a last minute change to the course of fire and you choose not to hear the course of fire and mess up such as shoot targets excessively or not enough or skip a target, or don't shoot in the designated area that is your bad. Hope you have stage time & ammo to get it right because there are no redo's. I like Al's & Daniels approach RO has the final say (right or wrong. I felt RO's did a top notch job. Keep in mind the lead guys and RO typically do not get any rest times when they do their run.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that for me guys. I am just giving Al and Daniel honest feedback. They surely cannot control everything and the RO's are doing their best, probably for free, to keep things running smoothly. I am responsible for my wait times and making sure the RO's write the correct times onto the time card. I understand that. I am not trying to hammer them to the wall with my feedback, it was just something that confused me.

If they change anything in regard to my point, then maybe they can take one extra step to help ignorant noobs like me feel less confused. You probably think screw the noobs, but I met several 1st timers out there, and if this event is to keep growing like it has, then there will always be more noobs. Hence, I thought it necessary to post.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am only responding here because if there was only one station who did this for this shooter then it had to be mine.

My explanation of the COF went something like this, " Can you see the target?", (If they answered affirmatively then I said), "OK, you have 3 minutes to make 3 hits, tell me when you are ready and I will start your time." 15 to 20 seconds long, not including the time it took to make the 10 feet or so trip from the other RO and the firing line.

Usually this was followed by the shooter saying he was ready and I said go. Sometimes the target had to be pointed out to the shooter, which added time. Sometimes I had to stop shooters from pulling mags or taking off gear, like backpacks, or even trying to glass the target before the timer started. This also added time. A couple of times I had to say these things more than once for the same shooter.

All things considered, It takes at least two RO's to run a stage efficiently. The splitting of duties between the RO's at each stage was made in an effort to make sure all data was collected correctly and efficiently. For our stage, having Jason meet the shooter at the entrance, collect cards, give wait time instructions, watch for safety violations and record wait times before stepping to the line allowed me to concentrate on the shooter, his/her safety, run the spotting scope, watch the strobe, and keep the shoot time.

I appreciate the feedback on this Huntersworld.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wasn't your stage u.m.b.
Seems like you remember me. Let me make sure, I asked for help to make sure that i didn't have a bullet in the barrel. You were kind enough to walk to your truck and check it for me!
I don't want to say anymore about what stage it was. I don't want to single out any RO!

Edit: I reread your post and it seems that Jason helped me with my barrel.

Let me try again. While waiting, I asked if I could get ammo out. You said no, but thanked me for asking.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good feedback, HW. We try to make things as consistent as possible, the explanation of the shooting stage is one of those things that always creates a minute or two of discrepancy. The guys with wait times get to see the course layout, so as soon as wait time ends, they're ready to go. If there's no one there, the explanation eats into run time a bit.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah so you were the hard ass on Stage 2? You couldn't have helped a brother out. I'm gonna be that guy and say if you didn't understand the COF on that stage then you are a dipwank. It was the easiest COF out there, but the hardest to complete.

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stage 4 I forgot the dog I shot the first half nicely then started to reholster when the RO kindly said shooter if you would like to complete the course of fire I need 5 hits on the dog, he could of burned me big time if he wasn't such a nice guy.
Huntersworld don't feel hammered we are just good ole boys try to explain with a keyboard.

My first conversation with Al went something like this @ thunderbird
Al "cease fire"
Al "shooter what are you doing this is a hot range."
Me "huh following the flags"
Al "well you went the wrong way"
They had laid the course then as people arrive some of the flags were under cars, with the heat & fatigue I made a wrong turn.
On another stage at the thunderbird the RO said " you understand the course of fire i said yes, he said time begins now, my rifle was still slung on my back and it was the V TAC wall. I learned then if it is a rifle stage unless stage description says rifle slung you should probably have the rifle in your hands ready to go when you walk up to the stage.

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not ran out of ammo yet, but once I ended with slide locked back on pistol with extra ammo in a mag on top of dam, I had a hicup cleared gun like I would in a uspsa match then sprinted down to the next targets as I remembered I just inserted a partial mag. Then in that same match I chose not to top off a rifle mag which almost led to me to digging through my hydration pack for the extra mag.

I really like these matches they push you and make you think on the fly

Latest posts

Top Bottom