Phrases/Sayings/Word Origins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, I saw this in a food review, by a woman no less: "Drier than a popcorn fart" lol .

The most I've ever heard were when I was stationed in Georgia . I'm sure you Okies have a few. Just interested in the phrases and their origins.

Example:

I don't know him from Adam...
The phrase “I don't know him from Adam” suggests that if the person were standing next to the person in Western tradition thought to be earliest human being, the two would be indistinguishable.

Post some you know or don't know. Every day things you say without thinking. I think of others all the time and never remember to look up or ask .

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worked for an old timer that used to say "Shines like a diamond in a goat's @ss." Heard a few different meanings over the years. Some to describe something epically new and awesome, others to decree something was crap. Guess it's phrase-fluid.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rule of thumb

In biblical times, you were allowed to beat your wife as long as you didn’t use a branch any larger diameter than your thumb.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, I saw this in a food review, by a woman no less: "Drier than a popcorn fart" lol .

The most I've ever heard were when I was stationed in Georgia . I'm sure you Okies have a few. Just interested in the phrases and their origins.

Example:

I don't know him from Adam...
The phrase “I don't know him from Adam” suggests that if the person were standing next to the person in Western tradition thought to be earliest human being, the two would be indistinguishable.

Post some you know or don't know. Every day things you say without thinking. I think of others all the time and never remember to look up or ask .

I've heard the saying and understood it as you do. However, your post sent me off to Bing for a search of the longer version of the saying which I've only heard in Jimmy Stewart's "It's a Wonderful Life" as spoken by Nick, the bartender in a scene from Stewart's "Potterville" vision. The term is "I don't know him from Adam's off ox." Here's the source and a short description: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ada1.htm

The off ox was the one on the off-side of the vehicle. If you stood behind the team looking forwards it was the one on the right-hand side. The driver walked on the left-hand side of the team, with the near-side ox at his right shoulder. He would get to know the personality and idiosyncrasies of this ox very well. However, the off ox was hidden behind the near-side one, and was yoked to it so that it could do nothing but follow it. So the off ox was — figuratively at least — less well known.

BTW - the part of Nick the bartender was played by Sheldon Leonard who went on to a prolific career as an Executive Producer for shows such as Andy Griffith, I Spy, and Gomer Pyle, USMC, among others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom