Picking out a friend for bear country

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you/I am traveling around like a vagabond I would have 3 guns for bear protection. In no particular order. Glock40, Super Redhawk 44mag, and a good reliable semiauto shotgun. Dependent on the situation I would be carrying one or the other.

OP, if you don't shoot the Glock well, I'd bet you have not given yourself sufficient training time behind the pistol to make yourself a reliable shot with the Glock. I started out my pistol life liking the grip angle of the Springfield Armory XD pistols much better than the Glock. Shot it great. Now I shoot the Glock just as good since I took the time to train. Plenty of folk in AK that carry the Glock in 10mm for bear protection. the Glock 40 may give you less hastle if you are traveling through Canada since it has the 6" barrel. Check their laws for sure prior to entering America' hat.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you/I am traveling around like a vagabond I would have 3 guns for bear protection. In no particular order. Glock40, Super Redhawk 44mag, and a good reliable semiauto shotgun. Dependent on the situation I would be carrying one or the other.

OP, if you don't shoot the Glock well, I'd bet you have not given yourself sufficient training time behind the pistol to make yourself a reliable shot with the Glock. I started out my pistol life liking the grip angle of the Springfield Armory XD pistols much better than the Glock. Shot it great. Now I shoot the Glock just as good since I took the time to train. Plenty of folk in AK that carry the Glock in 10mm for bear protection. the Glock 40 may give you less hastle if you are traveling through Canada since it has the 6" barrel. Check their laws for sure prior to entering America' hat.
Getting a handgun through Canada is pretty tough. There are severe restrictions. One way around it is if your travelling to a major competition, and they don't have many in Alaska. I'm fuzzy on this but it seems there is a date and time before and after the competition that you can travel with the pistol. It's not designed as a get around. Maybe you have further knowledge?
I found that shipping one from the lower 48 to Alaska via an FFL and picking it up there is the best option if traveling ground through Canada.
I've taken guns to Alaska on an aircraft and its pretty easy.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
YEah, I've only flow from Socal to Alaska and it was easy. I have read a handful of documents on entering Canada with firearms and it is a bit confusing at best. With handguns, the barrel length and caliber play a major role in what can be brought in but like you said there are other important factors. If it were me and I was driving to Alaska via Canada I would be shipping it to a dealer in Alaska and picking up when I got there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom