Pimp My Deer Blind.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who all Has, or plans on having a nice enclosed blind? If you have any ideas or "I'd change this if i did it over again" deals please let me know!!!

I Have a good area to hunt now, for probably the next 6-7 years, or untill i score my own land again...and I'm tired of freezing in the tree/platform blinds when it gets really cold out so this off season i'm building a good enclosed, elevated blind. I like the open blinds and stands when it's 40 or above and when the wind isn't too bad, but DAYAM it was cold Sunday Morning!!!! LOL. I'm getting too old for that crap. : )

I'm thinking 6 x 8 with a slant roof. I really want to keep the structure simple but effective... not sure of exact demensions yet. I'm going to have the inside walls and ceiling and underneath the floor hit with a thin layer of spray foam for insulation and drop in some easily replacable carpet on the floor for sound deadening. I'll use two rolling swiveling office chairs in it. I want it about 6"-8' above ground level. Door on one end with a window and rectangle lexan windows on all sides with wooden security shutters on all windows that lock from the inside. Lighting will be LED with a deep cycle battery and a solar battery maintainer.

I can build it on site, or off site and trailer it in. If i build on site, i'll sink the 4 x 4 legs...if i build it off site i'll put pillars in and anchor the 4 x 4's to those. i'll anchor it with straps / cables / augers if neccessary. (I used to haul mobile homes so i'm used to all that stuff)

Other than that, All i care about is that there is 1. a Heater!! (Which i have buddy heaters)2. room To hunt comfortably. 3. Room for a foldable cot or something to sleep on the night before a hunt ...which leads me towards 6' x 8' (Leaning toward a fold up cot as it can be stored easily up near the ceiling or under a side window shelf when not used) 4. a porta potty. I'm not looking for a Hilton Hotel room...just a comfortable place to hunt away from the freezing cold and wind for a few years.

So..........any ideas, warnings, guidance etc????

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know its early for this, we use the rubber stall mats for the floor. Absorbs sound good, roll around chairs roll good, and it won't get balled up with stickers.
Vaccuum it with shop vac really easy or broom it out.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would really like to do this too but never can seem to find the time, I do not have any tips but this link is to a Texas Bowhunting forum, it is a do it yourself thread, there is all kinds of cool ideas, builds etc for just about everything, including hunting blinds. You may have to get into the thread a bit but there are alot of ideas on diy blinds.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We framed ours and used insulation and bought some slide up glass windows for ours. Used thin plywood on interior walls, can't remember thickness. In the studs, we can screw into to mount a shelf for spare Mr Buddy propane bottles, etc. Also important to us, was a 6 inch window sill, on the inside to use a front bag for rifle rest. This really helps the kids on their first hunt. (I don't have kids, but I take some every year.)
We initially used rolled roofing (kinda like shingles) on the roof, but after 3 years, covered it with tin. The roof is insulated as well, so the rain isn't loud, but you can hear when a bird lands on it.
The inside is painted black to help hide us, and we made curtains with see through mesh for the windows. We also sewn in some lead fishing weights in the bottom seam to weight the bottoms, so they wouldn't blow around when the windows were open. The black interior and the mesh allow you to move around (if quiet) with deer at 15 yards and never know you are there. The curtains are in 2 pieces so you can slide them apart and poke a rifle out the window. This works great as young kids don't often sit real still.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go smaller unless you plan on often hunting with a partner. 6X8 is too big for one person to see everywhere effectively. Also, go with long overhanging eves. This will keep it darker inside and harder to see inside.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah my son will be with me some times and possibly my wife once i get a good blind built...LOL So there are going to be quite a few times that there will be two people in there, hence the 8'.

Thanks for the eve suggestion!!! I'm taking notes for sure so all suggestions are appreciated!

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use metal on roof and siding. We are residing two that are just 3 years old cause dad saw camo wafferboard and just had to have it.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a couple built exactly as you described but that are 4x6. Insulation is a waste unless you have good windows which you keep closed and only open when you see something. Rubber on the floor is key for the office chair rolling, stays quiet. Once a year just shake out the mat. We keep a spare chair hanging on the back wall for a second person. Has room for the heater and the 5 gallon bucket toilet. Use sawdust to keep the stink down. Spend all day in mine... love it.

I bought the conversion kit for my buddy heater to run off a 20lbs propane tank, just need to build a way to hang it outside or on a platform... then run the hose inside. Would last for months.

To make the legs.. would recommend some prefab brackets. Yes they are expensive, but save time and headaches. Our first stand uses this... over kill but if your building something huge, you want to be safe.
http://www.e-ztower.com/

Our second tower is using
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Elevators-4-in-x-4-in-Double-Angle-Brackets-Set-of-4-E188/202560097

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw that stuff too. IIRC it wasn't even exterior rated particle board and it had a vinyl stick on camo on one side.

You are correct. It peeled last year so we painted it and that is peeling now so metal for this spring! One is on a trailer and will be easy the other is in the field and will be a little pain but doable.

Dad's (trailer one) has carpet and blinds with solar lights. I keep telling him if we install a dish and add some vienna sausages he could live there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom