Pistol/Rifle Caliber thoughts and question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Serious odd question here.

I was out shooting multiple firearms today. Shot my 22LR pistol first, then my .380 pocket pistol, and then my almost EDC 1911 45. Then I backed up and started out with my 22LR Nylon 66, then switched off to an AR-15 center-fire .223. Great day at the range. Yep would have liked to have done better, but not too bad considering my recent range time has been low because of the WX.

Ok later tonight, got to thinking, I shoot 22LR in a short barrel pistol pretty effectively, and then I shoot that same cartridge in a longer barrel rifle pretty effectively. The FPS is not all that much more in the longer range rifle, but the longer barrel gives me more accuracy. Do not like that statement, but it is true that my pistol accuracy is not as accurate. Guess I need to practice more.

This gets to my point, I got to thinking, why is there not a center-fire .380ACP longer barrel rifle or a .45ACP center fire longer barreled rifle, AR-45?

I haven't done much other research (You guys are my first choice for a source of answers.), but found www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto2.html to get me thinking about cartridges and velocities for firearms. Percentage wise, 22, .380, .45 are about the same, just larger mass. Longer barrel gives you a little more velocity naturally, but how much that matters?

My question is -- why have I not seen an AR in .380 or .45? My 22LR pistol and 22LR rifle seem to work well in either place, pistol or rifle. I would think the people who promote AR-15's for home self defense should consider .380 or .45 viable without the overspray of a .223 in some areas such close neighborhoods or apartments or other situations where 3000FPS might not be needed or desired.

Just my thinking here at the moment. Anybody have an AR in a .380 or .45 that I am not aware of?

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Marlin did make a.45 rifle, called the Camp 45 (they also made one in 9mm called Camp 9). One reason for more accuracy with the .22 rifle could be the sight radius. As a general rule, rifles are more accurate than handguns. There are AR's in 9mm also, but I don't think I have seen one in .380.

Dennis, I have seen lever guns in .38/.357 and .44 Spec/.44Mag.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
cabelas had a 45 auto AR a couple weeks ago. i think they had 599 on it. can't recall the manufacture though

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Marlin did make a.45 rifle, called the Camp 45 (they also made one in 9mm called Camp 9). One reason for more accuracy with the .22 rifle could be the sight radius. As a general rule, rifles are more accurate than handguns. There are AR's in 9mm also, but I don't think I have seen one in .380.

Dennis, I have seen lever guns in .38/.357 and .44 Spec/.44Mag.
I've shot the 9mm Camp Carbine and it was OK That one was what I was going to mention if no one else did. Like I say, it was a good fun little carbine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a couple of AR manufacturers that make a 45 upper or barrels. Olympic arms is one that comes to mind
Olympic must make the different calibers their specialty. They make a .22-250 upper and other different calibers. Recently came out with the MPR 308-15 - Both .308 Winchester AND 5.56x45. http://www.olyarms.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom