POF Patriot Ordinance - Rogue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t care what you give me, the fact is the ar10
Platform is not robust enough for 7.62. Its a big reason no military used it as a main battle rifle. Limited life span. Even the well regarded knights 7.62s are niche guns for our elite

Ain't got no dog in this fight, like M1s, like some AR10s... but the Indian Military picked up the Sig716. We'll see how it goes?

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunting pigs is not the same as issuing a battle rifle to troops. They’re great guns, accurate, easy to scale up training from their little 556 brother. But high round count use and they pound
Themselves to death. Ask almost any 3gunner running them or who ran them

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The main reason the US doesn't use a 308 as a main battle round is because it's heavy AF (>3x the weight of 5.56). Not really any other reason.
If the SR platform wasn't robust enough for military use, there would be no SR25s, MK11s (all mods), or M110s in the inventory. The Canucks wouldn't be using the 716.
BTW, the M110 is an Army weapon, not an "elite" gun. They are all used as sniper/DMR platforms for the same reasons the M21 was developed, which is an accurized M14 - greater range but only one or two guys carrying it. A basic load of 308 is again, heavy AF.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main reason the US doesn't use a 308 as a main battle round is because it's heavy AF (>3x the weight of 5.56). Not really any other reason.
If the SR platform wasn't robust enough for military use, there would be no SR25s, MK11s (all mods), or M110s in the inventory. The Canucks wouldn't be using the 716.
BTW, the M110 is an Army weapon, not an "elite" gun. They are all used as sniper/DMR platforms for the same reasons the M21 was developed, which is an accurized M14 - greater range but only one or two guys carrying it. A basic load of 308 is again, heavy AF.

I agree, and think you made a much more sound position than I did at 0400 with a headache.

There is a reason why one platform was replaced by another. Somehow it took me 18 paragraphs of beating around the bush to say it though.