Point don't shoot bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember there is a subtle difference between imminent threat and present danger.
I'll give you a real word example:
Several years ago on the drive home from my workplace in Plano TX to my home in OK I had been called into a conference call via cell phone (Early 1990s). As I came through Denison, TX I pulled off 69/75 into a McDonalds parking lot and shut the engine off because I knew from experience that the signal would drop in another mile or so and I couldn't afford to be disconnected from the call. As it was around 0300 the lot was completely empty and not a soul in sight. Due to the nature of the call, dealing with a network outage and an upset client, I was not focused on my surroundings as I should have been. Two men "appeared" without being seen until they were in my mirror walking up either side of my truck. Given that approach I immediately went on high alert and placed my hand on the pistol I had stored between the seat and console.

The walked up to the doors and the one on the driver side said "We need a ride." I informed him I wasn't giving rides and they needed to move along. At this point I dropped the phone into my lat (Unfortunately forgot to hit the mute button and everything went out over the call.) He then told me "Hey man I said we need a ride, don't be a dick dude!". I again informed him I didn't give rides. At this point he put his hand on top of the door and drew back with his other hand either in a fist or with something in his hand to break the window as the guy on the passenger side started jerking the door handle. I placed the pistol against the glass, he stopped with his fist still cocked back and I told him, "If that effing glass breaks you are going to die!" Seeing the pistol they changed their mind and hauled butt thankfully.

After apologizing to my client I excused myself from the call long enough to notify the local PD of what had happened. They sent an officer to check on me and check the area. Nothing more ever came from it. In my opinion, there was clearly an imminent threat of great bodily harm at the very least but had I pulled the trigger and shot through the glass it would have been a bad shoot.

Just my opinion.
In this situation pulling your gun saved your life.If someone already has their fist pulled back you wouldn't have time to draw your gun especially sitting in your car if it was in your holster.Several years ago i was in Kansas city and witnessed an incident very much like you described.The bad guy punched through the window with a form of brass knuckles and hit the driver in the side of the head cracking his skull open.The bad guy did tear his hand up a little but nothing compared to the driver.I watched some grand masters draw and shoot in competitions while living in Tulsa and in your situation i don't think even they could draw from a holster while sitting in a vehicle before the bad guy could punch the window out.You made the right choice.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who attempts entry to my vehicle risks getting shot.

Of course, I'd rather not shoot inside a vehicle, so I would likely brandish first.
I keep muffs in the seat next to me in each of 3 vehicles. Per a suggestion by another member awhile back, putting those muffs on while some roided road raged idiot is beating on the windows might just be enough to cool the situation off without brandishing anything.
May or may not work, but its an alternative. I would also have my hand on my gun in the door pocket. It can come down quick, and one needs to be ready.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep muffs in the seat next to me in each of 3 vehicles. Per a suggestion by another member awhile back, putting those muffs on while some roided road raged idiot is beating on the windows might just be enough to cool the situation off without brandishing anything.
May or may not work, but its an alternative. I would also have my hand on my gun in the door pocket. It can come down quick, and one needs to be ready.
I would be afraid if you had to shoot someone, especially with OK county's DA Prader, that carrying muffs and taking the time to put them on could be construed into some form of premeditated intent, ie if you had the time to put on muffs, your life wasn't really in danger.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be afraid if you had to shoot someone, especially with OK county's DA Prader, that carrying muffs and taking the time to put them on could be construed into some form of premeditated intent, ie if you had the time to put on muffs, your life wasn't really in danger.
OKC and Tulsa are both wild cards. If this is a concern in the reddest of red states, imagine utilizing this "training" in a less self-defense friendly jurisdiction? :(

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It's a good thing Shoddy doesn't live in OK county then, LOL. But I get the idea there. Though planning and waiting till the SHTF like when some asshat actually does break the window out does put your life in danger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom