Point don't shoot bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem I see with this ... in a situation where it takes pulling the trigger to stop the threat ... it'll be more of the "he didn't have to shoot little Joey, he could have just pointed it at him and scared him away" stuff.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The problem I see with this ... in a situation where it takes pulling the trigger to stop the threat ... it'll be more of the "he didn't have to shoot little Joey, he could have just pointed it at him and scared him away" stuff.

Exactly. Like I said, the law puts another level in the UOFC.
Most people don't know what the law is now and are not likely to know when it changes. Threatening someone with a weapon will be just as illegal in the future as it is now but using a firearm in self defense without pulling a trigger cannot result in felony charges.

A bit an overreaction. The bill is only intended to clean up language in existing law that as worded now could result in criminal charges when justifiably using a firearm in self defense.

Do you think Emily Virgin (D) Norman is looking out for our best interests in regards to firearms?
Urging this bill to pass because of Oklahomas, Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence "F" rating.

This is a slippery slope...

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So you mean to tell me, the law as is right now, that if my wife is confronted by a 6'2 250# thug. (She is 5'6, and significantly less than his 250) He demands her purse and she draws her pistol, the thug starts backing away, and then runs off. She risks being charged with a crime, since she didn't shoot. ********, not with the LEO and D.A. in my area of Oklahoma.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you mean to tell me, the law as is right now, that if my wife is confronted by a 6'2 250# thug. (She is 5'6, and significantly less than his 250) He demands her purse and she draws her pistol, the thug starts backing away, and then runs off. She risks being charged with a crime, since she didn't shoot. ********, not with the LEO and D.A. in my area of Oklahoma.

Not every situation is as clear cut as the one you describe.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Suppose 2 thugs walk up on me at QT. They look like they have bad intentions to me. One tries to flank me. I draw my pistol and they run off. One of them call in my plate and says I was menacing them with a pistol. Under current law I can be charged with a crime. This bill addresses that.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Suppose 2 thugs walk up on me at QT. They look like they have bad intentions to me. One tries to flank me. I draw my pistol and they run off. One of them call in my plate and says I was menacing them with a pistol. Under current law I can be charged with a crime. This bill addresses that.
Under current law, if you shot and wounded the thugs you would be in less trouble?

Latest posts

Top Bottom