Police shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Parked finish, more polish and honing on internals, metal trigger group, no mods requried to add a tube extension, heavier springs/lifter, and sling swivel studs. All this can be changed, if you look at Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech, or AIP, Vang Comp, most use the express for their builds to keep costs down, and change only what they think is necessary, but if you can buy a used police magnum or wingmaster (only difference being parked vs blued) for less than an express, why not?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All this can be changed, if you look at Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech, or AIP, Vang Comp, most use the express for their builds to keep costs down, and change only what they think is necessary, but if you can buy a used police magnum or wingmaster (only difference being parked vs blued) for less than an express, why not?

My Scattergun Tech 870 started as a Wingmaster. However mine was built before Wilson bought it and moved operations from Nashville TN to Berryville AR. I'm sure things may have changed quite a bit in the current market. I've handled several police version 870s that were had a better action than the few express models I've played with. My SGT is functions better than any 870 I have used hands down. I'm not sure what all they did to the barrel, back-boring, forcing cone mods etc, but it has no problem putting all 00 pellets from Fed Tactical in a silhouette from 25 yards... with a 14" barrel. I played with a stock police host with a Vang Comp 18" barrel that put them closer to 9" at 25 yards. Impressive guns from some of those builders out there. Lee Hadaway in Colorado was a Scattergun tech gunsmith that did quite a bit of the work there before Wilson bought them out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a Mossy 600AT Police issue a few years back for doing some electical work for a guy.
It had a 10 round tube, drilled and tapped receiver, and sling swivels. Pretty nice shotgun. If I didn't miss, I could take a limit of quail without reloading.

It was one that got stolen in a home burglery several years ago.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Scattergun Tech 870 started as a Wingmaster. However mine was built before Wilson bought it and moved operations from Nashville TN to Berryville AR. I'm sure things may have changed quite a bit in the current market. I've handled several police version 870s that were had a better action than the few express models I've played with. My SGT is functions better than any 870 I have used hands down. I'm not sure what all they did to the barrel, back-boring, forcing cone mods etc, but it has no problem putting all 00 pellets from Fed Tactical in a silhouette from 25 yards... with a 14" barrel. I played with a stock police host with a Vang Comp 18" barrel that put them closer to 9" at 25 yards. Impressive guns from some of those builders out there. Lee Hadaway in Colorado was a Scattergun tech gunsmith that did quite a bit of the work there before Wilson bought them out.

They have changed. I was playing with my uncles SCT/Wilson thats probably a year or so old. I expected it to be bullt on a police magnum, but he said he swapped the extractor and bolt, so I looked at the trigger group, sure enough, it was AIP explains on his site, he can get them cheaper, and just replace what teh customer wants, or he deems necessary and save the customer money. They also say the polymer is actually stronger than the new MIM, or whatever trigger guard/group is being used.

http://aiptactical.com/Build_Your_Weapon.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom