Poll: Marijuana Law Reform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you support allowing physician-authorized patients to consume therapeutic cannabis

• yes

Votes: 278 79.7%
  • no

Votes: 71 20.3%

• Total voters

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aren't those basically the same groups cited as the reason it was banned to begin with? So what else shifted?

big pharmacy and big timber are generally cited as the reasons for it being banned, that and John Ehrilichman("advisor") told Nixon that the War on Drugs was a "sexy political issue."

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A64539

Finally, Oklahoma's harsh marijuana laws are costing the state dearly -- millions of taxpayers' dollars that could be spent on education, mental health care, highways and other vital services are instead wasted on a bloated prison industrial complex.

According to the ACLU study, Oklahoma spent $30 million in 2010 alone enforcing marijuana laws. Nationally, the amount was a staggering $3.61 billion.

Yet, according to the Marijuana Policy Project's Chris Lindsey, "There's very little in the way of statistics that show that increasing penalties for possession of marijuana have any effect on the frequency of use in the state.

"I doubt that somebody that's making a purchase on the underground is thinking, 'if I get caught with this, here's penalties I face,'" he said during a recent interview on Oklahoma City's KTLV radio. "If the point is to change people's behavior, it's a failure."

It's bewildering, Lindsey argues, that authorities "spend so much time going after a drug that many Americans now believe should be regulated like alcohol."

Not just Americans in blue states like Washington and Colorado, but also in fire-engine red, ultra-conservative Oklahoma.

Think about this: Nearly six in 10 SoonerPoll respondents favor making possession of an ounce or less of marijuana a civil infraction.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A64539

Finally, Oklahoma's harsh marijuana laws are costing the state dearly -- millions of taxpayers' dollars that could be spent on education, mental health care, highways and other vital services are instead wasted on a bloated prison industrial complex.

According to the ACLU study, Oklahoma spent $30 million in 2010 alone enforcing marijuana laws. Nationally, the amount was a staggering $3.61 billion.

Yet, according to the Marijuana Policy Project's Chris Lindsey, "There's very little in the way of statistics that show that increasing penalties for possession of marijuana have any effect on the frequency of use in the state.

"I doubt that somebody that's making a purchase on the underground is thinking, 'if I get caught with this, here's penalties I face,'" he said during a recent interview on Oklahoma City's KTLV radio. "If the point is to change people's behavior, it's a failure."

It's bewildering, Lindsey argues, that authorities "spend so much time going after a drug that many Americans now believe should be regulated like alcohol."

Not just Americans in blue states like Washington and Colorado, but also in fire-engine red, ultra-conservative Oklahoma.

Think about this: Nearly six in 10 SoonerPoll respondents favor making possession of an ounce or less of marijuana a civil infraction.

I don't agree with this train of thought. I personally do not use drugs because they are illegal and I have too much to lose, I can't be the only one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom