Polymer lowers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know very little about current versions of AR's, and not enough from years ago to offer any opinions.

I see many negative references to various polymer lowers, and was wondering if this is carry-over from the early days, or have they just not improved much in recent years.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My take--polymer lowers are fine for the folks that shoot a few hundred rounds over the course of a year and leave the rifle in the safe most of the time. If you are going to shoot several thousand rounds a year--or a couple of thousand rounds in a weekend--I'd suggest getting the alloy reciever.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There's no advantage to poly lowers. They used to be an inexpensive alternative. Today, the cheapest aluminum lower you can find is still miles ahead of any of the poly lowers made to the same specs.

Let me preface this by saying I have two AR's both built on Omni poly lowers. They'be both been great, neither has given me any trouble at all. They both shoot 'yotes great. But I am more careful with them than I would be with an alloy lower.

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. My brother was asking my opinion, like I'm supposed to know something. I hadn't been paying any attention to prices or comments, and after reading some comments her and on other forums, I got interested in learning a bit. You never know, I may have to go spend some money one of these days, and need all the highly valuable knowledge that can only be found here! The last AR I had was at least 10 years ago, so it may be about time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one, that was bought from PSA as s complete lower. Trigger isn't the best but it's done thousands of rounds in steel challenge matches.
That being said, I would use an alloy lower if you were starting out.
I've seen some polymer lowers break right where the tube goes into the receiver.
I'd never use the polymer lower for home security.
Mine is a play gun that shoots an NC-22 Nordic upper. Not any recoil.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had I plum crazy poly lower that cracked under 200 rounds fired. my grandsons rifle has a new frontier poly lower that has around 500 rnds through it and no problems. both were bought when the poly lowers were much cheaper,now you can get an alloy lower so cheap why bother with a poly

Latest posts

Top Bottom