poor selection on diet sodas these days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 1970's, Shasta used to have a host of sodas in fruit flavors and many were sugar-free, diet.

Nowadays, it's virtually impossible to find sugar-free/caffiene-free sodas in grape, orange and strawberry in most ordinary grocery retailers like Walmart or Target. I can find generic diet lemon-lime at my local Walmart and that's it for fruit flavors without sugar and caffiene.

I won't pay money to have special sodas shipped or buy that pricey fancy stuff for about $2.00 a can on my generic 2-liter lemon-lime budget.

They do have cheap fruit-flavor sodas but loaded with sugar. I'm on a sugar and caffiene-restricted diet. I have to buy decaf coffee. Heart issues. Type-2 diabetes.

I do remember that WincoFoods had a good selection of Shasta in 2-L bottles while I was living in the Pacific Northwest, but the nearest Winco to Lawton is in Moore. I will have to check the Commissary on Fort Sill to see what they have. I'm a Vet wth privileges there. Lawton is a town that is in short supply of many things.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Water is pretty good. It’s free.
No, I pay $1.08/gallon for Crystal Geyser in jugs. I won't drink that nasty water out of the tap. Sometimes I like soda with my meal to settle my stomach. The cheap diet lemon-lime will do when nothing else is available. I can find diet cream soda and diet root beer sometimes but the more spendy national brands.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No way am I drinking any chemical laden diet crap!

Try tea, add about 1/4 cup of real sugar per quart!

That'll cure what ails ya
I'm on a sugar-restricted diet and I need the carbonation to settle my stomach. I can buy generic club soda in 1-liter bottles but it's pricey at .77 cents for nearly a quart. At Winco, I could get 2-L club soda at that price. I have bought the club soda and tossed in a splash of fruit juice for flavor. Walmart's grocery/food selection is somewhat lame. Not the food/grocery selection of a stand-alone large SUPERMARKET. Country Marts are small and expensive. The only true SUPERMARKET I have in town is the Commissary on Sill.

I do drink instant Lipton ice tea sometimes but only with lemon and no sweeteners.

Most of my sugar comes from BBQ sauce, fruit and fruit juice. I have to try to keep sugar out of my other beverages.

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screenshot_20211207-165807_Chrome.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom