DIY carbonated drinks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any body out in forum land have any experience in making Do It Yourself carbonated drinks at home?

Lately, with the cost of even the cheaper Seltzer water like Canada Dry & sodas like RC hitting $1.25+ and the name brands @ $1.50+ at Walmart for 2 litter bottles, I think it may be time that home carbonation would be much more cost effective for me in the long run. I understand that once you get past the initial set up costs of approx. $170.... it only costs about 4-cents to make a 2 liter bottle of Seltzer.

Co2 tank refills run around $15 for a 5 pound cylinder. I prefer iced seltzer water with a little lemon juice added instead of regular tap water or tea...and I could realistically recoup my costs in little over a year. It would sure be a lot more healthy than the diet sodas with Nutra Sweet or Splenda. And, I like the idea of being able to make the Seltzer carbonated to my own taste.. with a little more fizz. Seltzer water is my addiction kind off like smoking is for others.... in a yrs time I'd probably spend enough on over the counter bottles to pay for having this set-up at home. $1.25 x 3- 2 liter bottles a week= $3.75 [plus taxes] x's 52 weeks= $195+ taxes! Then it would only be costing me approx. 4-cents a bottle going into future years.

If you know of any companies in the OKC or preferably the Lawton area that sells this kind of equipment, I'd appreciate the info. I'm looking for a five Pound Co2 tank, regulator, ball-lock keg coupler and the Carbonator bottle cap. I can get the hose & clamps locally. I haven't checked with my local welding gas supplier yet.. he may have the tanks.. but right now I want to do some price checking before I buy.

Walmart sells a soda system that costs approx. $170 for the start-up pack. But when you figure in the cost of the 14 oz replacement Co2 cylinders @ $15 each.. you end up paying about as much as you would if buying soda off the shelf. And the cylinders can't be self refilled due to the proprietary cap which can only be filled by the company. You can however get various soda syrups pretty cheap.. and just mix it with your own water at home.. then shoot the gas to it.

Here is a link to one recent article on the DYI topic.-
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-06/how-make-your-own-home-carbonation-system

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family was in the fast food buisness in a major way when I was but a tiny child. It troubles me that I was around this stuff and never bothered to learn anything. Remember the ice machines that made the soft chewy ice?
I'd almost drink a coke today if it was served over soft chewy ice.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are getting ripped if you are paying that much for CO2... I pay $8 to refill a 20lb bottle.

[Broken External Image]
20lb CO2 bottle next to a 5 gallon corny keg.

Here is a link on how to make your own version of the ball locks for use with soda bottles. Otherwise you can order ball lock soda bottle tops from homebrew stores.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/carbonator-cap.html

As for the regulator, I got mine from northernbrewer. Same with the ball lock connectors. (northernbrewer.com) Try some homebrew stores here in the metro. Tubing can be bought at lowes.

CO2 bottle and fill came from the welding supply place on reno between macarthur and meridian. You can get the CO2 bottles from northernbrewer for a little less, but I just decided to spend the money locally (would have needed to get them filled anyway).

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
find a homebrew shop. They'd have all that stuff. Or look online.

Brewmasters Warehouse is my personal choice for a lot of that stuff since their flat shipping is a good deal where i live. Lots of places will ship you the empty tank and the components. If your tank isn't going to be stored in the fridge (which a lot of brewers have todo) then you could probably find a steel one, but if you are going to have the CO2 tank in a fridge then you'd want an aluminum one.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are getting ripped if you are paying that much for CO2... I pay $8 to refill a 20lb bottle.

[Broken External Image]
20lb CO2 bottle next to a 5 gallon corny keg.

Here is a link on how to make your own version of the ball locks for use with soda bottles. Otherwise you can order ball lock soda bottle tops from homebrew stores.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/carbonator-cap.html

As for the regulator, I got mine from northernbrewer. Same with the ball lock connectors. (northernbrewer.com) Try some homebrew stores here in the metro. Tubing can be bought at lowes.

CO2 bottle and fill came from the welding supply place on reno between macarthur and meridian. You can get the CO2 bottles from northernbrewer for a little less, but I just decided to spend the money locally (would have needed to get them filled anyway).

Thanks for the info. When refilling, do they refill your CO2 tank while you wait and then give it back to you...or just swap your tank for one of theirs... like most places do for welding tanks? I know that when I bought my used #5 Oxygen and #4 Acetylene tanks.. when I took them for a refill.. the welding supply places just exchange the tanks. If I had wanted to keep my tanks it would have taken almost a month to send them out on the next truck and get them back again. I sure hated swapping them out because they were both like new. Several of the ones I've had since looked very well used.

Also, does the CO2 gas need to be filtered between the regulator and the soda? Just wondering, as I didn't know how clean the refilling process was at a welding supply... is there ever a issue with getting the CO2 contaminated with any particulates?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. When refilling, do they refill your CO2 tank while you wait and then give it back to you...or just swap your tank for one of theirs... like most places do for welding tanks? I know that when I bought my used #5 Oxygen and #4 Acetylene tanks.. when I took them for a refill.. the welding supply places just exchange the tanks. If I had wanted to keep my tanks it would have taken almost a month to send them out on the next truck and get them back again. I sure hated swapping them out because they were both like new. Several of the ones I've had since looked very well used.

Also, does the CO2 gas need to be filtered between the regulator and the soda? Just wondering, as I didn't know how clean the refilling process was at a welding supply... is there ever a issue with getting the CO2 contaminated with any particulates?

I don't know about OKC, but it depends on where you get your tank filled. When in tulsa, i take mine to High Gravity and they fill it on the spot. When i have to get mine filled in Mississippi i usually drive up to memphis to a fire extinguisher refill shop and they fill on the spot. If i wanted to go to napa auto or air gas then they'd either swap it out or send it off. Neither of those appeal to me since i have a nice, new, aluminum tank that i don't want to lose.

There is a big debate about whether it needs to be food quality CO2. I believe the general consensus is that CO2 is CO2. The only thing you'd have to watch out for (as far as i know) are places that add a bit of oil to the CO2. This usually only occurs in those little CO2 cartridges that you find for pellet guns and such.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The only worry when it comes to food grade CO2 and welding is not the gas(industrial vs bg comes from the same source, but only tested differently. If you are worried, ask the provider for a report, if you see benzene, dont get it. No benzene, you are g2g) but the cylinder. When the tank is empty, if you were to get back flow, it could possibly rust the inside of a steel CO2 cylinder. However, I doubt even that would be an issue. I have had liquid go back up in my lines, but they have never made it past the header and never made it to the regulator. If I am understanding your application correctly, basically force carbonating water in soda bottles, this wont be an issue (backflow really only applies to keg situations). For your bottles, all you are going to do is experiment with how much CO2 volumes you want in the water. It will be a process of setting your PSI on your regulator, attaching your ball lock to the adapter on your bottle, wait for the hissing to stop, disconnect valve, shake bottle, then repeat until you get the level of carbonation you want. This is the same thing I do to my corny kegs if I am in a rush to get the carbonation into the liquid... otherwise, I set to 30PSI leave for 2 days, then drop to 10psi for serving.

If you ever need any help, let me know. Part of the reason I do homebrew beer/soda/wine is because while in college I had to take quite a lot of chemistry. For me, this isn't just about beverages (although... YUM) but its like an ongoing science project. Likewise, I can probably glean a little info back from you once/if you get started. I've been wanting to do soda bottles for taking to lakes/hockey games etc. Get em pressurized and carbonated, then just take an ice chest and a party spout with me to have "on tap" beverages.

Where I go is fill on the spot, not trade in. The only hesitation I have with things like this coming from a homebrew store is the price. For example, food grade beverage tubing from a homebrew store is marked up about 500% of what lowes sells it for, same for carboys, bottles, and chemicals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom