DIY carbonated drinks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you probably don't need a 20lb tank to be honest. I can carbonate close to 60 gallons of beer, if not more, with my 5lb tank and keep it pressurized for serving. I fill up maybe every 14 months.

20lbs would last you a very, very long time, even if you're carbonating to very high levels. Save some cash and get a 5lb or 10 lb tank

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update. God certainly blessed me this evening!

I've been looking around for a 20 pound aluminum Co2 tank and a good dual guage regulator. In my area the cheapest I could find a 20 pound tank for was $150 filled. On-line they were about $100 empty + shipping and then the cost of filling. A regulator on-line would have been $75+ shipping.

This evening I called a soda company in a town about 30 miles from me and told the owner I was looking to buy a Co2 bottle. He said they only serviced commercial accounts because he felt there was too much liability selling high pressure tanks to individuals.. that with the commercial accounts, his people did all the bottle changes most of the time. Anyway.. after some talk, He said he would sell me a empty bottle and then I could have it filled on my own since it would be my tank.... and that is where I scored big time.

He sold me a empty 20 pound aluminum bottle in excellent condition for $25... and a new in-the-box professional grade dual gauge regulator [tank & line pressure]- the ones his company uses-- for only $50. I felt like I was holding him up at gun point. I couldn't count the money out fast enough. Now all I have to do is order the hose and fill caps for around $25 and I'll be set-up in the home soda buisiness for approx. $120 including a full tank of C02. :)

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j474/David2U2011/100_1656.jpg

Last edited:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update. God certainly blessed me this evening!

I've been looking around for a 20 pound aluminum Co2 tank and a good dual guage regulator. In my area the cheapest I could find a 20 pound tank for was $150 filled. On-line they were about $100 empty + shipping and then the cost of filling. A regulator on-line would have been $75+ shipping.

This evening I called a soda company in a town about 30 miles from me and told the owner I was looking to buy a Co2 bottle. He said they only serviced commercial accounts because he felt there was too much liability selling high pressure tanks to individuals.. that with the commercial accounts, his people did all the bottle changes most of the time. Anyway.. after some talk, He said he would sell me a empty bottle and then I could have it filled on my own since it would be my tank.... and that is where I scored big time.

He sold me a empty 20 pound aluminum bottle in excellent condition for $25... and a new in-the-box professional grade dual gauge regulator [tank & line pressure]- the ones his company uses-- for only $50. I felt like I was holding him up at gun point. I couldn't count the money out fast enough. Now all I have to do is order the hose and fill caps for around $25 and I'll be set-up in the home soda buisiness for approx. $120 including a full tank of C02. :)

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j474/David2U2011/100_1656.jpg

Awesome score.

A couple of things to point out. Dual gauge regulator is somewhat of a broad term as some people actually have two regulators AND the tank pressure gauge (so three gauges total). That is how people serve different style beers off the same CO2 tank (or server their kegs while force carbing another keg at a higher pressure).

Also, the tank pressure gauges are great unless you are storing your tank in a cold place (like, say in the fridge). If the tank is cold the gas is more compressed and the gauge wont show as full, nor will it drop in proportion to the amount of gas used. In fact, most people report that the tank will show as half full (or a bit less) right up until it shows as completely empty. But, with 20lbs, you shouldn't run out any time soon.

enjoy it.

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your water has to be really cold to take a good charge of co2. If you do it at room temp (75 deg or so) your carbonated water will be flat.

So, either you need a really big fridge (kegerator) or do it in winter in your garage.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your water has to be really cold to take a good charge of co2. If you do it at room temp (75 deg or so) your carbonated water will be flat.

So, either you need a really big fridge (kegerator) or do it in winter in your garage.

I think you can carbonate at any temperature, it just takes a lot longer at room temps than it does at cold temps. You also have to dial up the pressure (like 30psi or above). The hard part is keeping it carbonated since you'd have to keep it at a higher pressure, which impacts how it pours. For beer brewers you have to 'balance your system' to get the proper pour. You usually do this by varying the length of serving line and it's diameter.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpfull advice.

I will be using it for Seltzer water and sparking juices / tea. Had to give up the beer years ago. I have a couple of refrigerators so I can keep lots of cold water and I figure the 20 pound bottle should last me a good while even if I carbonate the drinks fairly high. I'm planning on buying several of the fill caps for 2 liter bottles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom