1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Powder for 7mm Remington Mag

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Pokinfun, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Pokinfun

Pokinfun Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yesterday, I was in OKC buying reloading supplies. On my list of powder was H4831sc. I reload 7mm rem mag 162gr A-Max with it.
    I stopped and looked at the ELD-X bullets. Based on the other thread about A-Max results. Plus, the fact that I destroyed half a deer this year with an A-Max, I have decided to change to an actual hunting bullet.
    I think I am going to go with a 7mm .284 162 gr ELD-X, but what powder should I used that is good for a range of temperatures?

2. Okie4570

Okie4570 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Rl-19 is my go to for 7 mag. As far as temp issues, temps above 85* you'll notice pressure signs fairly quickly when using near max loads. Temps below that down to "deer hunting temps" there very little velocity differences.

3. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If you are working up a new load I'd check into the new IMR powders. Enduron I think they're called. Temp sensitivity was supposed to be something they addressed I think.

4. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Do not believe the hype of a powder is not as sensitive as another that states it is an extreme powder.

Yes I said it.

here is the why...Varget!
    Correct.. That is touted as an extreme powder.. well in my 30-06 it would shoot tight groups at 70 but you get down to 20 forget it.
    Or if you got a 20 or 35 degree load that grouped good then it opened at 70.

I really do not mind loosing velocity but groups opening up that is unacceptable.
    Ok so not only my 30-06 but my .308, 243 and my .223 did the exact same thing.

Now for the clincher IMR 4064 did not act like that in any of them.. except the .223 as I did not try it in that one. IMR 4064 would shoot maybe 1/2 to 3/4" low from hot to cold but groups stayed tight.

Shot placement.. You need that.
    H4831sc you stated is one of the extreme powders.. and it might be for you and your load.
    I like my H4895 and H4350 and IMR 8208 and the standby IMR4064.
    Those do well for me but I have tested them both hot and cold.

You need to test Hot and Cold as that is the only way to know for sure.

My 155gr A-Max was less devastating than my 178 A-Max.
    I finally got a good broadside shot an a deer and put it right behind the shoulder..Did not hit shoulder either.
    Bullet penciled in and took the top 1/2 of the heart and exited the other side right behind the shoulder hole was about 2" across.
    Looked like someone left a blood trail with a water hose for 20 yards. There was a chunk of fat covered with blood on the ground the size of a golf ball.

I have punched them in the shoulder with flat base soft points and destroyed shoulders. did the same with the A max.
    Hit in neck and not much neck meat for either bullet.
    That spot right behind the shoulder worked very well.

Work on making you, the load and the gun as accurate as you can.
    I know you can't always get the perfect shot.

I know a guy that uses cast bullets in a 45-70 and can eat right up to the hole.

5. Jcann

Jcann Sharpshooter

You might want to give Retumbo a try

6. magna19

magna19 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Same results here with RL-22 and Berger 168 Classic Hunter. Ive been getting single digit ES when using RL-22

7. beastep

beastep Sharpshooter

I really like RL22 although I dont use it in a 7 mag. I have been using it for probably 15 years in my 300 win mag for all its loads.

8. Pokinfun

Pokinfun Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    In a 243 I use H4350
    5.56 is H335
    308 is Varget
    7mm is H4831SC
    It seems like RL-22 is temperature sensitive in Oklahoma summers.