Powerball going to $2 tickets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy a ticket every week. I don't buy it to win, I buy it for insurance. It's not that I ever expect anything, it's just that I'd be damned pissed if someone around me won and I didn't at least have a ticket.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotsta keep the po' man down by drainin' his pockets faster. will probably increase sales as jackpots will rise faster.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've bought a ticket or two in the past. I've also participated in pools before.

I think it will hurt sales just from the perspective of it having been only a buck. People will turn loose of a buck or throw in several into a pool pretty easily, but when it doubles in price or you only get half the chances, they start to veer off the road.

However... have they said what if anything they are going to do to the prize structure? If the chances are greater to win, it could draw better participation, especially once people see they are getting more than a goose egg most times. I don't think just raising the jackpot level will matter much.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought a ticket or two in the past. I've also participated in pools before.

I think it will hurt sales just from the perspective of it having been only a buck. People will turn loose of a buck or throw in several into a pool pretty easily, but when it doubles in price or you only get half the chances, they start to veer off the road.

However... have they said what if anything they are going to do to the prize structure? If the chances are greater to win, it could draw better participation, especially once people see they are getting more than a goose egg most times. I don't think just raising the jackpot level will matter much.

They're dropping the numbers from 39 to 35 and increasing the match 5 to 1 million from 200,000....

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it'll cause a dip initially but will eventually result in increased sales because it'll get to that $100 million mark quicker and more often now and I think there are a lot of folks that don't buy them unless the jackpot gets big. I know that's how I am, I get 2 tickets if it's over $100 mil, when it's not I don't buy. It's just my way of not blowing money every week. I think I'll only play when it gets to 200 mil now - that should result in fewer tickets purchased which is more money in my pocket.

I'm not a big lottery guy but I don't hate it either, I look at it as a voluntary tax of sorts and I'm all for that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom