primers backing out 3006

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I friend loaded some 125's at the lower end of a published load. And the primers backed out 30thous.He used two different dies a Lee neck sizer and a old Pacific full length die . Factory 150's shot fine.Were both dies not set correctly ?? Thanks

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 1960's I had a Springfield 03. Shot tons of Mil-Surp through it before I started reloading for it. every primer backed out of my reloads. finally some old WWII vet recommended I check the head space.
Bingo, that chamber would swallow a field gauge with even the slightest resistance. No way of knowing how many rounds had been through that rifle.

Not to say this is your problem but it can happen.

best regards

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Check for loose primer pockets, if OK....

2. Check rifle's headspace, if OK....

3. Make certain you are not creating an excessive headspace condition by setting the case shoulder back too far during resizing; unlikely since you tried a neck die, if OK.....

4. Bump the load up closer to the middle of the published load data. It could be a simple case of the load not generating enough pressure to properly expand the case.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Brass was both old and new, I know, he shouldn't be mixing brass .
Rifle is an older Rem 700 probably not shot that much. I think T.R.has it right shoulder back too far or not enough pressure .He was trying to tame some of the recoil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom