PRK Eye Surgery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After several months/years talking about doing this. I'm finally getting my vision corrected. I originally settled on Clear Sight but decided to get some other opinions. After talking with several friends who have used Advanced Laser Center I decided to schedule a consult. After all the testing was done I was shown my eye mappings. One eye was on the threshold the other was over it. They said I wasn't a good candidate for true bladeless Lasik. However, I was for PRK. I had never heard of this so questions ensued. After several hours of reading and watching videos of the surgery I was still convinced to go through with it.

Tomorrow afternoon I go in for the procedure. I'm not looking forward to the longer recovery time. I just refuse to spend any more money on contacts and glasses.

I'm sure after tomorrow I won't be able to look at an electric toothbrush the same. Google PRK eye surgery video if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyone else research PRK surgery or have it done? How was the recovery?

tobyboy

Dullshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my lady had prk done back in august and she can see great now. recovery took a while tho. couple months there would be days she would see clear and then next days would be blurry. take vitamin C the whole time your healing and use lots of eye drops keep em moist if you have any specific question ill ask her and see what she says.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had PRK done back in 2004. The recovery was rough (dry eyes, blurry vision, hard to focus etc...) but the results are awesome.

The first couple days after weren't much fun. Wanted to claw my eyes out on about the second day.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother was thinking about it. Then he started reading stuff about long term complications. Itching that never stops. People have committed suicide because if the itching. He thought about it and read a lot about it that isn't the marketing put out by "them". Decided that glasses and contacts were a better option for him.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i did not like this option. complications.

i went for clear lens ectonomy. i think this is the correct spelling. anyway, it is cataract surgery where they take out the natural lense and replace with a RX lense. these lenses can have bi-focal power and mono vision and can get you to 20/20 or better.

due to my astigmatism i still need glasses but i can see about 20/25 20/30 without any correction. basically painless and your good to go the next day but it could take a while for some people to stabilize.

the PRK scared the heck out of me. i did not know they were still doing it.

people have committed suicide after lasik and PRK because it basically ruined their lives. this is not reported by the eye industry but the info is out there. endless pain, can't see at night etc.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had PRK 10 years ago. I could have had lasik but was told by two doctors that PRK would be better long-term The recovery was not as bad as I expected - dry, scratchy feeling like sand in the eye for the first few days. I was driving and could have been back at work within a few days but took off a full 10 days.

I am in the medical field and spoke at length with my doctor about the possible complications. Many (not all) are caused by poor compliance with instructions and medications. I can't count the times people tell me they have left over antibiotics or meds from last year. Follow all instructions, take your meds, and use the the artificial tears liberally to keep your eyes moist. Take lots of naps the first few days and wear the protective goggles so you don't rub your eyes.

I am still 20/20 in both eyes.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard/read about all the horror stories too but when you look at the sheer number of people who've had the surgery, millions, the bad result cases are probably a huge statistical minority (granted it sucks if you are one of them).

Biggest thing to me is to make sure you get more than one exam from more than one surgical center to make sure you are a good candidate. I had mine done by the military, but I'd be worried about someone having loose standards in order to make $$.

Definately follow all the directions and take all your meds/eye drops!

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cznick: you and my wife are a lot alike. When she needs eye drops I have to do them for her.

I read, probably more than I should have, several horror stories of eye surgery. I have also read about and talked to a good number of people that have had eye surgery(both LASIK and PRK) who had very candid responses. My wife's step father is the most recent person to have PRK. His day 2 and 3 were by far the hardest days. He got through it just fine with a lot of eye drops. I have no doubts that tomorrow and Sunday are going to suck. I'm trying to track down a couple of audio books today so I can keep my eyes closed and pass the time. If not I'll be listening to a some movies.

One thing is for sure. I had better be able to still see my front sight when I get through this.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His day 2 and 3 were by far the hardest days. He got through it just fine with a lot of eye drops. I have no doubts that tomorrow and Sunday are going to suck. I'm trying to track down a couple of audio books today so I can keep my eyes closed and pass the time. If not I'll be listening to a some movies.

I concur. I slept a lot the first day after. They gave me pain killers and ambien and I konked out, woke up, and thought "hey this isn't too bad". When day 2 hit I felt like Tom Cruise in the movie where he got an eye transplant! Even the clock on the DVD player in the room felt like a million candle power spotlight on my brain.

I felt much better by the 3rd or 4th day when I went back in for a follow up. There was no way I was driving anywhere though...my wife ended up flying down to drive me home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom