Tough decisions ahead. Prayers needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know my good brother Bryant, started a thread for me a while back because he's a hell of a guy and I'm thankful to have friends like him. It's been a while since I've updated about my current condition and decided not to clutter up that thread. I'm in serious need of prayer from my OSA family who are willing to. I wanted to update to everyone on the most recent information we've gotten and the decisions we have to make going forward, but before I do, I'll give a little back story.

I apologize in advance for this long post. There is a lot of information to give about my meeting with the oncologist and thoracic surgeon today. I'm going to outline what was explained to us and the next steps and treatments required going forward.

On December 29th, I was diagnosed with esophagus cancer. Not a lot more information other than it was found on the lower 1/3 of the esphogus. I've had several more tests done and am ultrasound for staging the cancer. Fast forward to February 1st and my first big appointment with the oncologist and thoracic surgeon. A lot of information is thrown at us and it's overwhelming to say the least. Here is the main info we have and the next steps.

I have Stage T2 Submucosal Adenocarcinoma. It is located where the esophagus and stomach junction together. The good news is, that they have decided I am a good candidate for esophagectomy surgery. The bad news is that the surgery is major and is a 7-to-8-hour surgery that requires a resection of the esophagus above the cancer and a big portion of the stomach to be removed and reshaped.

The surgery process and chemo/radiation treatments:

During surgery they will have to deflate one of my lungs during to remove a large portion of the stomach and pull it up through the thoracic cavity. Because of this, they have to remove a large portion of the top of the stomach and reshape it to fit pulled into the chest cavity. Before we can even get to the point of surgery, they are going to do chemo/radiation for 3 to 4 weeks, about 2 weeks of it will be 5 days a week, to kill any surrounding or residual cancer cells before doing surgery. Because the surgery is very invasive and major, it puts a tremendous strain on the heart and lungs, which means I have several stress tests that will have to be done before that to make sure the heart and lungs can handle the stress of surgery. Just before surgery they will have to implant a feeding tube that I will be fed through for a few weeks after surgery because I won't be able to take in regular food.

I will have a port implanted in my chest to begin the chemo treatments (not sure when that will be yet). I have my CT scan on the 14th and will begin chemo right after that.

The prayers my family and I need specifically are for physical strength to get through chemo and radiation, but especially the surgery. To be strong enough to survive the stress on my heart and lungs. It's high risk and can have complications. It's a massive surgery that only so many people a year qualify to have because so many conditions have to be met in order to do it. My wife is terrified. We are strong believers, but she's been distraught by the idea of the surgery ever since knowing the details involved. I want to pray for strength for her as well. To be strong and lean on God and trust in his plan and healing. I am so thankful to this community and I trust and believe God to see me through this. Thank you all so much!
You your wife,the doctors, and surgeons will all be included in my prayers until the Lord has control of this. God Bless you sir

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prayers for God's guidance for the doctors and surgical team, for the chemo team and for His healing to take place in you Jeff. Payers as well for your wife and all of your family. Lastly I pray that God is not done with you making a difference in other's lives.

Latest posts

Top Bottom