Problem with M&P 40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor bought a new m&p and took it out to shoot. He was shooting reloads and I 'think' he fired a round behind a squib. He's in Vegas and i haven't had a chance to get all the details. There is a case head in the barrel but the slide will not come back. The barrel won't pass through the slide and I'm wondering if it's bulged. It's been to a smith who said he couldn't do anything with it. I've kroiled it and pounded on it some but am afraid to get any more aggressive. Any suggestions?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you'll have to pound it back far enough to flip the takedown lever. If it won't budge at all, knock all the pins out of the frame and see if it'll come straight up at all...maybe enough to get the takedown lever out...then it will all come out.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can get it back to where about 1/8th of an inch of the guide rod comes out. the barrel doesn't want to come through the slide at all. i thought about knocking the pins out but wasn't sure what i'd gain from it.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it gives you enough play to get the takedown lever out, you'll be able to separate the slide assembly from the frame assembly. He can always call S&W service and let them deal with it also.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda short on details at this point. Go look on the S&W forum http://smith-wessonforum.com// to see what they might suggest. Might also get some idea of what S&W will do when presented with the situation through the forum as well as phoning S&W service. S&W doesn't necessarily do the same thing every time under identical circumstances as I recall.

If new factory ammo was the culprit then get with the ammo company.

Doesn't sound like anyone got hurt physically so at least that's good.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was factory ammo then I agree that contacting the manufacturer's is the way to go but you may already be beyond that point if you started pounding on it though. If it was reloads, if the barrel is bulged and beyond the end of the slide where the bulge is I would take and hacksaw the barrel off since it will likely be a lost cause anyway. Removing the pins could work but I am not sure it will do a lot of good with the takedown style. Otherwise I would start drilling out the obstruction and barrel until it gets to the point where the barrel wall is thin enough for the barrel to flex and allow it to be taken down, probably need to use a masonry bit in progressively larger sizes to do it. I honestly wouldn't continue a hammer treatment though.

But I would suggest posting some pictures as it may help figure out the issue a little better.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no projectile in the barrel. he said his son in law fired a round behind a squib.thinking about trying what nightshade said. drill the barrel out almost to the diameter of the opening in the slide. i'm sure the barrel is toast anyway.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does the extractor make any contact with the cartrige case? I'm wondering if you could try to drive the case back out of the barrel.

I can't imagine that a melonite treated barrel would be that easy to drill.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is true. it's going to be tough and maybe not worth it. hate to lose a gun just because of a bulged barrel, dangit.

I've tried to knock it back with a brass punch. it's a no go situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom