Problem with my daughter's daycare

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another concern for me would be what happens if there is an accident.
Then this person is injured/incapacited because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
She couldn't help any of the children in the van exit or care for injuries to them.

Consider this. In an emergency situation the seatbelt helps keep you in place behind the wheel. I can tell you from early experience that it's impossible to regain control of an out of control vehicke, when you can't even keep yourself behind the wheel.

Having been in a vehicle upside down at 70mph, I can tell you that if that van ever rolled or flipped, Mrs. X would be one giant projectile that could do some damage and hurt kids.

Nobody rides with me at without a seatbelt on, I don't want them in my lap if we get in a wreck.

tmadlock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems to me that someone who runs a top tier daycare would probably also be some one you could talk to in a reasonable manner. Top tier daycare folks get to the top tier by being reasonable and personable people. So, I think as long as you can talk to her in a non condesending way she may very well be receptive to your concerns and the obvious conflict this is causing for your daughter. If I am wrong, then you will have learned something very valuable about the character of the individual who is caring for your daughter.

I had a similar issure years ago when my daughter was in daycare (she's a junior in high school now) involving eating food in the gym. The teacher was very receptive to our problem and she did change her behaviour.

Good luck to you!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have her "set up" to get a seat belt ticket?

Both of my parents are OK County deputies (reserves) and I've considered bringing it up to them, but I really don't want to cause problems for anybody, including asking my parents to abuse their powers and risk their positions and credibility. I just want a person who is paid to be a positive leader actually fulfill her obligation.

Teaching kids to break the law (though less severe than robbing liquor stores) is not ok with me.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're missing an excellent opportunity here to establish two things: 1. To correct a problem that is legitimate. 2. To determine if this lady really has the feeling and responsibility to put your child first.

I always maintain that it is possible to have a discussion about contrary ideas without making hard feelings. Sometimes it's how you choose to approach it and sometimes it's how the other person chooses to accept it. If she is not willing to accept it in a reasonable manner, don't you want to know that about this person?

Be very polite and as tactful as possible, but talk to her about it. Be prepared to get a response you may not want, but maybe you will get a good response. Either way, it's good to know these types of things about the person caring for your child several hours each week.

^ This.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I've asked around elsewhere this morning and the feedback I had was "if this is the biggest concern you have with your child's daycare, then you're just a pu$$y who needs to stop trying to convince your daughter she lives in a perfect world."

And while I can see that while looking from the outside in, the director was quoted via my daughter as saying "big people don't have to wear seatbelts", so teaching kids it's ok for certain people to break the law just isn't ok with me. I also do not complain, and have only filed 1 official complaint with a company before and that was a well deserved situation. I'm also a believer in free will, but in personal time and spaces, and while holding a position of authority and safety over children, a daycare van is not the time to express your free will beliefs.

And if anybody thinks the above is true, then I assure you we do not bubble wrap the world around our daughter.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nothing beats mommy care.

Anywayz, you choose to allow your daughter to go to a daycare which has an employee who willingly doesn't use a seatbelt contrary to state law (not that I agree with the law but common sense dictates the use of a seatbelt for myself). In your shoes I'd make waves. Your daughter will learn a lesson from that (standing up for what you believe regardless of the consequences).

Life... it's all about choices. Best of luck.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing beats mommy care.

Anywayz, you choose to allow your daughter to go to a daycare which has an employee who willingly doesn't use a seatbelt contrary to state law (not that I agree with the law but common sense dictates the use of a seatbelt for myself). In your shoes I'd make waves. Your daughter will learn a lesson from that (standing up for what you believe regardless of the consequences).

Life... it's all about choices. Best of luck.

Agreed, thanks! I just don't want my daughter to suffer the consequences of my choices, though.

It appears that people here agree this is a legit concern. But, is this legitimate enough to address the issue? If so, do you think I'm better off addressing it anonymously and risk her finding out who it is and possibly taking it out on my daughter? Or should I approach her directly and privately, giving her a sense of honest concern, but greater risking negative treatment on my daughter?

I'm leaning towards leaving it alone, but wanted some other opinions.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed, thanks! I just don't want my daughter to suffer the consequences of my choices, though.

It appears that people here agree this is a legit concern. But, is this legitimate enough to address the issue? If so, do you think I'm better off addressing it anonymously and risk her finding out who it is and possibly taking it out on my daughter? Or should I approach her directly and privately, giving her a sense of honest concern, but greater risking negative treatment on my daughter?

Talk to her... if she's going to give your kid a hard time because you've confronted her about wearing her seatbelt then you don't want her there anyway...

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Again, it comes to choices for you. You can let it slide and hope everything goes well. Or you can say something with the chance negative things will or will not be experienced by your daughter. You can move her to another daycare. She can stay with family.

Everything you do as a parent will impact your daughter one way or another. Choices made by my parents continue to impact me to this day. My being here in Oklahoma was a choice made by my parents when I was 15. Such is life. Was their choice good or bad? I dunno. I like Oklahoma and never want to leave. That's not to say that had we stayed in South Carolina my life would have been better. I might have actually asked that cute cheerleader out and we might have gotten married. Or not. Who knows? Instead I married and divorced an Okie gal.

Damn... choices can really suck... especially when they're made by others and they impact you... lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom