Propane tank size for my 4000 watt inverter generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a 4000 watt dual fuel inverter generator.. Opting to run on propane because it doesn’t go bad like gasoline can and it’s not as messy. The generator will be used fo power loss purposes only. I’m having an electrician install a single outlet with waterproof box outside that will be on its own breaker and would serve the house when power is lost.
That said what size tank would you suggest? 20#,30 # , etc? How many?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd pick a 100#/ 25 gallon minimum. But harder to load and haul to get filled. I think 20# is what the exchange places carry but only fill to 15#. Anything larger will have to be taken to get filled.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd pick a 100#/ 25 gallon minimum. But harder to load and haul to get filled. I think 20# is what the exchange places carry but only fill to 15#. Anything larger will have to be taken to get filled.
Yes that’s my problem. I simply could not load or unload that size bottle.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to time how long the generator will run under load on a gallon of gasoline. A gallon of propane weighs 4.25#. If you buy your own cans and take them to a propane fill station to get them full, you can then calculate how much each will weigh and how long each can will run the gen. Then you can figure how often you want it to run on a particular size can before having to stop and change it out. The number of cans you get will depend on how long you think you might be without power on an average outage or the extreme end of a major storm related outage that could go for a couple of weeks depending on where you live. Buy the biggest cans you think you can lift if you have no help or if you will.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1702671195189.png

This guy would know.

Call your local propane company and ask them what 250 gal tank would cost. Purchasing one instead of renting would be more cost effective in the long run. 250 gal's would last a very long time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom