Home Generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It isn't stupid. Some folks aren't versed in how electricity/wattage/amperage and sizing appliances with the correct extension cords or backfeeding a breaker panel works. People and families have died with lack of that knowledge.
I'm sure there are some folks monitoring this thread have learned some things they didn't know before.
That is the purpose of a discussion forum. It's sad you have to be so egotistical about what you think you know.
Perhaps you should lead off with your immense knowledge of electrical principles in the thread Dave started about the Grid.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/power-grid-discussion.272061/
I'd be happy to engage and discuss with my limited knowledge.
I had an electrician set mine up and explain it for me. No its not rocket science.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You all are talking like this is some rocket science or something lol
It's very basis and cheap to run a house on a 5k geny for under a grand , Lmao at all this stupid

It isn't stupid. Some folks aren't versed in how electricity/wattage/amperage and sizing appliances with the correct extension cords or backfeeding a breaker panel works. People and families have died with lack of that knowledge.
I'm sure there are some folks monitoring this thread have learned some things they didn't know before.
That is the purpose of a discussion forum. It's sad you have to be so egotistical about what you think you know.
Perhaps you should lead off with your immense knowledge of electrical principles in the thread Dave started about the Grid.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/power-grid-discussion.272061/
I'd be happy to engage and discuss with my limited knowledge.

I'm with DH on this one.

I've spent 20+ years in the electrical field (lots of Gennys from sigle kW's to >1MW) and these discussions can drive me nutz too. But ya know I'm glad they are here talking about it. Hopefully some will learn a thing or two in lieu of getting someone hurt especially a kid who doesn't understand things like suicide cords, faulty / undersized extension cords, back feeding.........

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't meaning to be crass but this simply isn't rocket science. I don't know much about electricity but I had a buddy who is a retired electrician, come and help me install the welder plug and explain how it all works and its simple stuff really. Some of this thread reminded me of the .45 acp versus 9mm threads. lol

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A5891A34-E478-48F7-ADC7-87E9BABE875F.jpeg
F7B48791-C2DE-4F82-B4AA-E856C290C289.jpeg
9B540CE2-E271-404A-8B00-B9A16A9650E9.jpeg
Got my new generator the other day. Got a champion from Lowe’s. It has excellent reviews. I broke it in and so far it is great. Had an interlock installed on my panel and a 50 amp cable hooked in. We tested it out yesterday and it ran everything except my furnace which I don’t need because I have a fireplace and a couple of space heaters. So now I am ready if the power goes out!!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 132398 View attachment 132399 View attachment 132400 Got my new generator the other day. Got a champion from Lowe’s. It has excellent reviews. I broke it in and so far it is great. Had an interlock installed on my panel and a 50 amp cable hooked in. We tested it out yesterday and it ran everything except my furnace which I don’t need because I have a fireplace and a couple of space heaters. So now I am ready if the power goes out!!

Looks good!

Not sure if it’s common sense or not, but do not run the generator in your garage. Even with the garage door open, there could be CO build up in the garage, attic and it could creep into the house. It needs to be outside away from the house as the CO can migrate into the attic via soffit or gable vents as well. Just a thought.

If you don’t already have one, get a CO detector for the house.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good!

Not sure if it’s common sense or not, but do not run the generator in your garage. Even with the garage door open, there could be CO build up in the garage, attic and it could creep into the house. It needs to be outside away from the house as the CO can migrate into the attic via soffit or gable vents as well. Just a thought.

If you don’t already have one, get a CO detector for the house.
I’ve actually got two. If it ever rains I’ll have no choice but to put it in the garage. But I am gonna run a pipe for the exhaust and I have two windows I can open. I know that ain’t smart but I can’t get it wet. Unless they make a cover I can put on it to protect it while it runs.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve actually got two. If it ever rains I’ll have no choice but to put it in the garage. But I am gonna run a pipe for the exhaust and I have two windows I can open. I know that ain’t smart but I can’t get it wet. Unless they make a cover I can put on it to protect it while it runs.
Might be tough to sleep with it in the garage. I used to park mine just outside the garage and lean a 4x8 sheet of plywood against the house to protect it from weather. It was on the north side of the house so wind wasnt a factor to worry about the plywood blowing off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom