Generator Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do the propane/nat-gas regulators work in freezing and below temps when it is more likely to lose grid power? Are they prone to freezing? Haven't heard of it being an issue lately, but I remember early 80's vehicle conversions were prone to freeze up.
Propane is suppose to be tested for moisture before it is sold, to distributors. It must be off spec. on this moisture test to freeze in a regulator. I don't know if distributors run this test before delivery, or not, but they should. It's a simple test, simply run propane through a tiny orifice, for a set amount of time, one minute, I think, and if it don't freeze that orifice, it passes.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At some point you could spend more than what you save is worth. But then there is the comfort of your family to consider? We compromised and went with a cheap generator, big enough to run the freezer, refrig. and fan on the gas furnace, or wood stove. We had a generator mounted in a RV, for many years that we could have used in the house, but ever once used it, not even in the RV!

I erred and bought a 9,000W generator that uses 5 gallons of gasoline per night but it also uses natural gas but not sure what that sucker is going to cost for a wekk without electricity!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We went without power for 11 days years ago after an ice storm. No generator, total electric. We kept the house warm with the fireplace but had several ricks of firewood handy.
Bought a big portable generator to power the entire home with two freezers, fridge and electric stove.
We've never lost power again for more than an hour, but it's nice having it available. Kept in the shop with stabil to keep the fuel fresh. Get it out twice a year to run a small load, change the fuel and put it back into the shop.
Tie it to the home from the shop feed that comes from the house by back feeding, shutting off the main before hooking it in.
All breakers off. Energize one breaker at a time to let the appliance on it to get started and in run condition before energizing another breaker.
Works great, but not as easy as some of the auto units, but its free! Common sense is the key to using a manual hookup.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aw heck! That ain’t nuttin’. 😉 My 22KW Generac uses 2.53 gallons of LP an hour at half load, 3.9g at full load and I’m estimating around 1.56g at 1/4 load which is around 23 amps and that’s at @240V.
Thanks, I assumed LPG or NG would be far more fuel efficient. We just bought a cheap, 3600 kw gas powered generator. The info says it's suppose to run for 12 hrs. on 4 gallon of gasoline? I haven't tested that yet?

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
...Bought a big portable generator to power the entire home with two freezers, fridge and electric stove.
We've never lost power again for more than an hour...
Growing up in the Northeast my Dad got sick of shoveling the snow every year. Finally broke down and bought a snow blower and we never got snow for the next 8 years. He was pissed since he couldn't play with his new toy.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I assumed LPG or NG would be far more fuel efficient. We just bought a cheap, 3600 kw gas powered generator. The info says it's suppose to run for 12 hrs. on 4 gallon of gasoline? I haven't tested that yet?
The other thing to remember is that my 22KW has an oil filter and can go 200 hours between oil changes. Everything I read on portables w/o a filter was cryptic at best however if I’m understanding their maintenance schedule correctly their oil should be changed every 50 hours. Maybe someone can verify this for me??

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Black Max generator with 9500 W with a Honda engine and the dang thing burns 5 gallons of gas per night according to the manual. It will also use natural gas or propane but in a bad situation, we aren't going to have natural gas or any other fuel other than wood.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Black Max generator with 9500 W with a Honda engine and the dang thing burns 5 gallons of gas per night according to the manual. It will also use natural gas or propane but in a bad situation, we aren't going to have natural gas or any other fuel other than wood.
Consider, oil lamps, solar lights (for lighting in house) rocket stove for cooking. Solar panels and batteries to run freezer. A few extra propane tanks. Propane heater. If you have a well and septic, you can be pretty independent. If not stock water also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom