Proposed deer hunting legislation incorrectly written, riles hunters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can do a few things
Most importantly fawns that's are born late don't get as much time to mature and get the nutrients it needs to survive it's first winter.
Fawns are all supposed to be born around the same time, when natural vegetation growth is at it's peak.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you AllOut.
Like AllOut said, a fawn that is not late born is healthier when winter hits. Fawns are also weaned before hunting season instead of having does still nursing fawns when hunting season opens. Keep in mind a doe that doesn't get bred the first time, cycles a month later, not just a few days later. If she isn't bred in the 2nd cycle it is another month before she cycles again.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem Bassin!
Every 28 days til she is bread....
Which can also mean bucks are rutting longer, holding on to antlers longer. Which in turn can mean more bucks die, less time to recoup from the rut to start regrowth of new rack. Which in turn means smaller racks.
There's a ton of factors involved in a healthy deer herd.

zcruse

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like an attempt at another asinine law written by a politition that doesnt know anything about the matter that they are trying to regulate. If ODWC (you know, the people we are paying to have a clue on how to keep our heard healthy) didn't ask the legislature for it, then it shouldn't even be considered. Note: had ODWC asked for it, I still wouldn't support it but would understand why it was written for consideration.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know Mr. Schwartz and he is a good guy when it comes to hunting/gun legislation. I'm not sure where this law came from but will ask and find out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom