Two days and two stones.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This week has been a terrible one for me. Day one, boss was cool with me being off with a kidney stone. I'm susceptible, for some reason. After the passing the first one, I get that loving feeling that I have a second one moving around. I call in again and boss calls me at 1430 hrs asking if I can at least get to the work site and have the guy I'm training, do all the work. Boss man has never had a kidney stone. I tell boss man, I'm not crawling across the concrete and asphalt lot to get to the bathroom. Boss man is pissed, and I can agree. New company has bought us out and he's trying to meet is demands for his bonus. I have the accrued sick time hours, but it appears his demands seem self-centered. I reminded him of this, and I received no reply. Should I not push this or take it above him to HR? We have the normal, if you're off more than two days, you have to have a Dr's visit for the three days off. Which I wasn't.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have the sick time, you shouldn’t need a doctor’s note. I never would recommend escalating and going over or around a supervisor to HR. However, you could call someone in HR to ask them what the policy is and explain your position. If they have ever had a kidney stone, they will understand.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More than two days requiring a doctors note is pretty common. We have the same requirements for our employees.
I would simply request the letter from your healthcare provider and not make a big deal of it. (You do not want to be a target for a peeved off supervisor)
Most importantly, get better. I have never had the misfortune of a kidney stone, but a good friend is susceptible as well and I know they are no joke.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This week has been a terrible one for me. Day one, boss was cool with me being off with a kidney stone. I'm susceptible, for some reason. After the passing the first one, I get that loving feeling that I have a second one moving around. I call in again and boss calls me at 1430 hrs asking if I can at least get to the work site and have the guy I'm training, do all the work. Boss man has never had a kidney stone. I tell boss man, I'm not crawling across the concrete and asphalt lot to get to the bathroom. Boss man is pissed, and I can agree. New company has bought us out and he's trying to meet is demands for his bonus. I have the accrued sick time hours, but it appears his demands seem self-centered. I reminded him of this, and I received no reply. Should I not push this or take it above him to HR? We have the normal, if you're off more than two days, you have to have a Dr's visit for the three days off. Which I wasn't.
He represents the company to you.
Hopefully he represents you to the company.

I always thought that was my job as a supervisor.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't drink much water so maybe I'm deserving of a kidney stone..maybe not, I don't want one. I remember one day we had a commercial airliner land at Reese AFB, Texas because the crew thought an active duty member aboard had acute appendicitis-it turned out he was passing a kidney stone. It isn't a laughing matter.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The two day Dr slip is common across the board for business’s when taking sick leave.
I’ve passed several stones according to my Dr but they are microscopic according to them.
I’ll have this urge to pee every 5 minutes for a couple of days, then it goes away.

j-black

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been dealing with kidney stones since my early twenties, and if you've never had one be grateful. I'm sure your Sup doesn't understand how sudden, intense, crippling the pain is. If he's not gonna be reasonable about it definitely inform HR of the medical issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom