Quality AK-47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getchurgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I strongly recommend building your own!!! Check out the info about our class.

I would love to build my own but you are in Tulsa, I am in OKC, 2 1/2 day class, minimum $900 cost, hotel. Can't afford that right now. I'm sure that is a great deal because you not only get the gun you want, you know all about it but it is just too far out of reach for me. I will be trading for one hopefully. Not in big hurry and this thread has been helpful. Please continue to post suggestions. Thanks everyone.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that is probably the best advise. Got the wife to buy into it so it looks like I'm getting an AK. Only cost is I have to give her my AR. Don't mind that though, I get an AK.

AR > AK :P

if I were you, i'd get a century WASR or Yugo n-pap/o-pap or a mak90 for starters. If you pick out a good one to begin with, its not likely to break and will hold its value. If you decide down the road you want something a little nicer then you wont have any problems selling it for an upgrade.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AR > AK :P

if I were you, i'd get a century WASR or Yugo n-pap/o-pap or a mak90 for starters. If you pick out a good one to begin with, its not likely to break and will hold its value. If you decide down the road you want something a little nicer then you wont have any problems selling it for an upgrade.
I agree. I recently got a 2015 production wasr 10 and it is in excellent condition. Almost as nice as my saiga. All the parts match and the action is smooth. I paid $630 with tax. Not bad if you ask me. The wasr is also very easy to customize. Here is what it looks like now.

View attachment 53874
View attachment 53875

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned at least 20 or so variants, but only shot maybe half of them so take my opinion with a grain.
Under $600 get a Zastava N-pap. There's 6 left instock at preppers for $579. Much better fit and finish than your WASR's and IOs and they have original barrels unlike the DDI or RAS47.
Under $1000, Either Arsenal FR107 or a converted Saiga. Saigas will be a hundred or two less than Arsenal, but really it depends on what style you like more, IMO it's hard to beat one built in the Kalashnikov factory so I say go Saiga!
Alternatively, get a Draco for $450 at Buds and SBR it for $250 for the stamp and underfolder.
I would avoid the AMD and Egyptian AK's, it has been a crap-shoot in my experience.

This is my Saiga, hard to beat the original Russian Red!
attachment.php

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got another ak a few days ago. Paid a little over $600 for a wasr 10. It is a new production rifle and all the parts are numbers matching. It is actually nice for something that cost that little. The front sight is a little to the left but nothing major. Most wouldn't even notice it. The finish isn't great but not bad. And there are some machining marks. But overall it is really nice. Definitely better than what most people say about them. I am sure it will last just as long as my saiga will. With a little work it will run as good as a $1,000+ rifle. I just don't see the sense in paying that much for an ak. They are not meant to be collector guns. They are meant to be used. I am happy I got it. A steal at the current price point.

Wasr fan here as well. I have shot a few different brands at different price points and the wasr usually comes out on top.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arsenal and Norinco make some really, really, really good AK's.
Now they are a bit pricey but they're totally worth it, IMHO.
Like me for example, when I get the money I'mma get myself a nice (90%, give or take, bluing) Norinco AK in .223.
Which they're a lil' rare since it's hard to even find any AK in .223, plus to find one in that good of a condition and it to be a Norinco makes it that much better.
When I do get it (which now I know will be "hopefully" soon) I'mma get the Zhukov side folding, adjustable stock from Magpul and get either the full bottom Zhukov Magpul handguard or the full bottom Troy "cooling holed" handguard and get a full length Fortis angled foregrip, then get some sort of rail system for a red dot and that's either gonna' be from Troy or Bravo Company.
The dot might either be an Aimpoint Micro T-1, EOTech XPS2, or the Trijicon RMR (triangle reticle, tritium band), or something of the sort.
Now as far as the pistol grip, either that will be from Troy or Magpul, probably Magpul because it's just a pistol grip.

That's just my 2 cents on what would be a good AK and what I'mma do to the one I get since you seem to be looking for some good info on an AK and I gave ya' a bit more info on what would be some good parts to put on the AK.
I hope you have good luck on finding the AK of your dreams!

Last edited:

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arsenal and Norinco make some really, really, really good AK's.
Now they are a bit pricey but they're totally worth it, IMHO.
Like me for example, when I get the money I'mma get myself a nice (90%, give or take, bluing) Norinco AK in .223.
Which they're a lil' rare since it's hard to even find any AK in .223, plus to find one in that good of a condition and it to be a Norinco makes it that much better.
When I do get it (which now I know will be "hopefully" soon) I'mma get the Zhukov side folding, adjustable stock from Magpul and get either the full bottom Zhukov Magpul handguard or the full bottom Troy "cooling holed" handguard and get a full length Fortis angled foregrip, then get some sort of rail system for a red dot and that's either gonna' be from Troy or Bravo Company.
The dot might either be an Aimpoint Micro T-1, EOTech XPS2, or the Trijicon RMR (triangle reticle, tritium band), or something of the sort.
Now as far as the pistol grip, either that will be from Troy or Magpul, probably Magpul because it's just a pistol grip.

That's just my 2 cents on what would be a good AK and what I'mma do to the one I get since you seem to be looking for some good info on an AK and I gave ya' a bit more info on what would be some good parts to put on the AK.
I hope you have good luck on finding the AK of your dreams!

223 AKs are like 7.62x39 ARs, silly.

Also if you put magpul furniture on a Norinco AK, a Chinese angel will lose its wings.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
223 AKs are like 7.62x39 ARs, silly.

Also if you put magpul furniture on a Norinco AK, a Chinese angel will lose its wings.

True, but that why I'm also gonna' get the original furniture for it so in case I ever do decide to sell it I'll make between 4x to 6x of what I'mma' pay for the rifle.
But the Magpul and Troy stuff is only gonna' happen if it even fits the rifle correctly.
Since most AK's are made a lil bit different from the next I might just stick with the original furniture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom