Quantity over accuracy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always been very particular about my ammo, searching for and purchasing what is most accurate for each particular gun. My question is, in the light of recent gun and ammo legislation discussions, do you find yourself sacrificing accuracy of ammo in order to stock up in quantity?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short answer, nope.

There's a place and a time for both. But I'm not buying right now. Couldn't take having my toes stomped on by the ravaging crowds.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you have an immediate need for ammunition, I would wait to get what you want. This frenzy can't last forever and I would guess it is financed mostly by debt, which is limited. Just be patient.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the gun. I'm not too worried about shotgun or plinking ammo for the handguns. Centerfire rifle and personal protection handgun. Ammo are another story. But I won't pay these over inflated prices.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to suffer. Make your own

Big +1 on this! I got caught behind the 8ball for once on .223. Had to cut back on my practice time a bit until my reloading supplies come in.

When I originally started shooting .223, their was little cost benefit in reloading "plinking" ammo for my AR. I have come to realize that availability issues will likely continue to pop up the rest of my life. Also going to start shooting nothing but 69gr or more in my AR, so now I am looking at cost, availability, and quality.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been picking up .223 brass at the range for awhile though I don't own dies for it yet. Reload other calibers but haven't messed with .223 before. I guess you might say I see the writing on the wall.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been picking up .223 brass at the range for awhile though I don't own dies for it yet. Reload other calibers but haven't messed with .223 before. I guess you might say I see the writing on the wall.

I hate to admit it, but I've been doing that with ALL brass whenever I go to a range. Figured that I'd never know what I'd need or one of my buds would need in the future AND it cleaned up the range.

Dave

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a range rat before it was cool to be a range rat. Just glad I never decided to take all the stuff I didn't reload and sell it for scrap.

I will make the suggestion of picking up .223 dies if you can find a deal on them. Don't wait until the next freak out.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was green before being green was cool.
Started reloading when I was a kid.
I have picked up range brass and bought it when it was cheap for years.
What I didn't need I traded for what I could use.
Still do and will probably always do it.
The only brass I've scrapped is my ever growing 22lr pile my g'kids generate.

If you want repeatable accuracy on demand today you just about have to reload.
Not because the manufacturers aren't making quality ammo.
But because it's getting hard to find.
A guy should always have a Plan B.
And maybe a Plan C, D, E, .....

Latest posts

Top Bottom