Question about ar15 conversions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is saving for an ar15, but I won't let him have the .223/5.56 version quite yet. My question is can you buy one that is a .22lr and then convert the upper to .223/5.56 later? or is it just the other way around?

:ou

Eric67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should call MAS Gunworks and talk to Martin or Matt about setting you up a complete rifle in 22LR for now and when you feel your son is ready just get a 5.56 upper for it then, they would have some good optins and info for you.

MAS GunWorks
2017 S. Santa Fe
Moore, Oklahoma 73160
405-703-4343 (shop)

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should call MAS Gunworks and talk to Martin or Matt about setting you up a complete rifle in 22LR for now and when you feel your son is ready just get a 5.56 upper for it then, they would have some good optins and info for you.

MAS GunWorks
2017 S. Santa Fe
Moore, Oklahoma 73160
405-703-4343 (shop)

Thank you, I'm going to do that.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why not just get a regular AR? Put a 22 kit in it for now, then convert it back when he's ready?

MAS can get you all you need.

Beercules

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why not just get a regular AR? Put a 22 kit in it for now, then convert it back when he's ready?

MAS can get you all you need.

+1

This is a great way to go if you aren't overly concerned with tack driver accuracy. When you are ready to move him to .223/5.56, just swap out the BCG and go. I ran a Ciener until it broke (untold thousands of rounds) and replaced it with a Spike's kit that I'm working on wearing out. They are a great cheap way to inexpensively practice the fundamentals with your regular setup.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a dedicated 22 upper and then I saw that you can get a complete 22 AR (Colt or S&W) for nearly the same price. I then decided that my good old 10/22 did everything I needed.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There two kinds of conversions. You can get a 556 rifle and just use a conversion bolt or you can get a complete upper kit. The only difference is the mags, bolt group and the dedicated barrel if you go that route. The lower and upper receiver are the same. I am not a fan of shooting 22lr down a 556 barrel. Just makes me feel dirty inside. I used to tell my customers to go the dedicated upper route but now only do that for custom builds because as others pointed out you can get complete rifles now from Colt and S&W for roughly the same price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom