question about loading 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful to check your brass after sizing, on presses like the Dillon the shell plate can allow the shoulder to be pushed too far back if adjusted too tightly against the shellplate.
I use a Case Gauge to check my setup after adjusting it. I also run brass through it the first time I get it to make sure it hasn't had the shoulder pushed back too far. Brass
with the shoulder pushed back too far will cause case separations just ahead of the web area, resulting in the front part of the case remaining in the chamber. A friend picked up
a bag of 243 brass at the last gunshow for me and several of them were un usable due to shoulder being pushed back too far. My case gauges are a mix from Dillon and L.E. Wilson.
Here are a couple of links to what I'm using.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/271313/lyman-case-length-headspace-gage-308-winchester
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25547/catid/3/Dillon_Rifle_Case_Gages

Blitzfike

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What they said. I have never loaded that specific bullet and don't have data specifically for it, but all looks good with the possible exception of your COAL. Some of the other 168-grainers show a MAX COAL of 2.800. I very seriously doubt that that's your problem. Definitely, size some cases, wipe them clean, and run them through your rifle before you do ANYTHING else. If they cycle fine, your size die setting is not your problem. You might have a tight/short chamber, so your cases might require a little more sizing and/or a little shorter trim. Keep us updated on what you find!

panayoti01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
once fired in your gun or other?
i like to feel just a touch of resistance when closing the bolt. if you are reloading 308 for one rifle you may want to look into neck sizing only. Your brass will last longer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom