Question about Norinco 7.62x39 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an unopened crate of pre-ban Norinco AK ammo. IIRC it is 1200 rounds in original wood crating. I have heard that those who collect ammo as a hobby place a premium value on this above the going rate for just shooting rounds. Can anyone here support this notion and if so, what would be the best way of finding these collectors and selling it to them.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are they copper-washed or polymer coated? What are you trying to get for them? I have both and I paid about the going rate for wolf at the time a few years back. If I remember correctly, the copper stuff from the 50's in the wood boxes and wrapped in paper are corrosive. The brown polymer or copper coated in the 20 round boxes were not. That may affect what people will pay.

Last edited:

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they copper-washed or polymer coated? What are you trying to get for them? I have both and I paid about the going rate for wolf at the time a few years back. If I remember correctly, the copper stuff from the 50's in the wood boxes and wrapped in paper are corrosive. The brown polymer or copper coated in the 20 round boxes were not. That may affect what people will pay.
The box is unopened so I can't answer about the coating. Whether they are corrosive or not seems irrelevant if people are buying them as collectables, not to use. If they are only shooter grade ammo, then I will just keep them for a rainy day. What I am trying to get for them depends on if they have any collector value. I do believe they are in the individual 20 round yellow boxes. I likely bought them in the late 80s.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the real value depends on wether or not it is the Norinco Steel-core ammo. As the steel-core was banned from import in the 90s.
Yes I said it was pre-ban purchased in the late 80s maybe early 90s bought at the TGS. The ban started in 92. It is likely it is steel core as that was what was common from Norinco at the time.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I said it was pre-ban purchased in the late 80s maybe early 90s bought at the TGS. The ban started in 92. It is likely it is steel core as that was what was common from Norinco at the time.

Very common yes, But if my memory serves, not all Norinco imported then was steel core. I know when I sold my 762x39 Norinco steel core the buyer wanted one cut open to verify. Which I obliged. (Magnet is not a good test as it all has a bi-metal jacket.)
With yours being un-opened it might be possible to verify from the crate marking though.
I know there were issues with scammers repacking empty boxes with non-steel core to get the premium.

TLDR; It's also been known to be faked, so a buyer may be wary without proof.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if it is norinco, it is copper washed. Only question is as some has said is is it a military crate of ammo, is it commercial boxed, etc. It is only of value to a collector, but due to age and desireability, I suspect $600 wouldn't be unreasonable. Romanian m67 brings that in the 1260 case. Gunbroker will be high on stuff like this.
God i miss this stuff when it was 99/case like you got. and it shot very well. it is a steel jacketed bullet so the random one in a mag does spark on steel backstops :) my.02 ymmv

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Almost all import steel case ammo has bi-metal copper washed steel jacketed bullet, especially the older stuff. That does not mean steel core.
just shoot the crap Or try and sell it!
I think the market is up right now so give it a go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom